We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why visit Paternoster?

Which Paternoster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
415 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Why visit Paternoster?

We are hoping to visit the Capetown area in early 2015. Is Paternoster worth a visit and why?

Many thanks

HG7.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

Hi

I would always say that Paternoster is worth a visit and to make the most of it, stay of a couple of nights.

It is one of my favourite places in the Western Cape and is home to my favourite guest house, Ah!

It is a chilled, laid back place with a beautiful beach, but freezing cold sea. But it is a fabulous walk along the beach. The small white houses, almost make you think you are in Greece

For such a small town, it has more than its fair share of good restaurants, Gaiijke, the Noisy Oyster and there is also a Reuben's restaurant in the hotel Abalone House now. But my favourite food is at Ah! Guest House, but you need to stay there now, to experience the food

There's also a nice art gallery and I love watching the fisherman bringing in their catch at the harbour

I have seen posts on here, that say it is dirty and unsafe. I have to say that's not my impression and I am about to visit for the 6th time

Definitely put it on your itinerary

Lisa

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

Yes it's worth it.

Here's why:

capewestcoastpeninsula.co.za/paternoster/

AND here:

paternosterhotel.co.za/nearby-attractions/

and here:

http://www.paternoster.co.za/

and here:

www.eatout.co.za/locale_city/paternoster/#/

Enjoy!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
415 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

Thanks so much to you both for your very prompt and positive responses. I think we will definitely visit Paternoster. It seems like a really simple and beautiful place.

Am looking forward to it already.

Thanks again, HG7.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

For me there are two reasons: Oep ve Koep restaurant on St Augustine Road and Voorstrandt restaurant on Strandloper Street. The Voorstrandt is right on the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

I think it’s totally different to the rest of SA. The first thing that came to my mind when we drove into Paternoster and saw the white buildings , a lot with blue trim was how reminiscent of a Greek island fishing village it was yet with overtones of the Irish west coast in a way as well. It is quaint with some quirky places and lovely beach. Cape Columbine Nature Reserve is just a short distance away and there is a lighthouse which is open to visitors during certain hours but when we went in the advertised times the gate was locked (apparently its pot luck as to whether it gets unlocked so would be visitors may be disappointed ). Even if you do self-catering get some of the delicious local crayfish (if available).

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

Paternoster is a quirky little place worth at least an overnight stay. If driving from Cape Town also visit the west Coast national Park, the West Coast Fossil park and !khwattu. project. , this will make a pleasant 2 days trip .

We had a nice stay at Paternoster Dunes guesthouse .

Cape Town Central...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

Paternoster definately is a beautiful place - however, be very vigilant, the crime there is ridiculous! We stayed at Klein Paternoster guest house, where we were warned to lock up before going out etc, however they broke into the guest house's room WHILE we were sleeping (not 3meters away) The came in through an open window in the roof! Really left a sour taste to our weekend away. Keep all doors AND windows locked at all times whether you are there or not!

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

Lisa. - can you please stop recommending ah guesthouse. Well never manage to get a booking again!!!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

I just like sharing my finds!! But yes I worry about it being full when I want to visit😃

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Joyce...

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why visit Paternoster?

It had better be OK otherwise Lisa will have to pay for the picnic next month! ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Paternoster