We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from UK to Messanges

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from UK to Messanges

Hi, I am driving from Calais to Messanges this May. I would like to know where is good to stop over on route?

Messanges surf school
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Ecole de Surf La Dune
Ecole de Surf Messanges Sud
5 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from UK to Messanges

I think the suggestion depends on what time you are arriving in Calais.

It is an overall journey of 9+ hours. Do you want to do the bulk of it on Day 1 or Day 2?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from UK to Messanges

Hi, We arrive in Calais around 11am on the Saturday.

I was thinking maybe going straight to Disneyland and spending the day there....... then staying over somewhere near.

On the Sunday making the drive down and having another stopover somewhere, we don't need to check into our accommodation in Messanges until Monday 26th.

Any suggestions are greatly received :) thanks

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,009 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from UK to Messanges

Cognac isn't far of your route and is a lovely town.

You could also do a tour of the Hennessy Brandy Distillery before you leave. Its a very interesting visit.

www.hennessy.com

Oops. Didn't realise you were travelling on a Sunday. The Distillery will be closed, as far as I know, on a Sunday. The town of Cognac is lovely nevertheless.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 21:15
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from UK to Messanges

The journey from Calais to DLP is about 3 hrs. which means you will not arrive until mid afternoon.

After DLP, you could take the route via Orleans, Blois and Tours to Poitiers for Futuroscope (a theme park based on multimedia/cinematography, including IMAX films and rides). en.futuroscope.com

This section of the journey takes around 3.5 hours (not allowing for coffee/lunch stops), leaving a drive of about 4hrs. from Poitiers to Messanges (again, not allowing for stops).

IMO there isn't much of interest around Poitiers and so if you don't fancy Futuroscope, you could overnight in the area of Blois or Tours. The first part of your journey after DLP would be shorter but would leave you more to do the next day before you reach Messanges.

Cognac is a good idea and Saintes is only 30mins. away which is another nice town to visit.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 21:23
Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Loire Valley, France
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Poitiers
Poitiers
Vienne, France
Futuroscope
Futuroscope
10,649 Reviews
Chasseneuil-du-Poitou, France
Saintes
Saintes
Charente-Maritime, France
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from UK to Messanges

Forgot to add that AA route planner or Via Michelin are useful when planning road trips.

Reply to: Driving from UK to Messanges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Messanges
Recent Conversations