We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

Centreville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
196 reviews
Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

I found that most tours will be a driver-only experience with lunch, winery, etc. included, so went to the museum's website and found a link to Artetruria and sent a request. A prompt reply said we could arrange a private tour of tombs (some not open to public) and museum, for 120 euros. Seems much more like what we need. We will drive to Tarquinia and meet the guide there. Has anyone used this service?

11 replies to this topic
Centreville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
196 reviews
1. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

Update: our guide Claudia was excellent. Arrived exactly as planned and had a great tour of the four private tombs she drove us to. They were amazing. Then returned to the necropolis and on to museum. All in all four hours of great knowledge conveyed in excellent English and very friendly. Would definitely recommend. Much better than a tour which conforms to their drive and includes other stuff likes wine and lunch. Drive up very easy. Then spend the day with lunch in Tarquinia. We had time to visit lake Bracciano in the beautiful nearby countryside before returning to Rome. A full 12 hour day on our own terms.

california
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

My sister and I are interested in tour of Tarquinia ruins. It would be possible on 17, 18 or 19 October. We would be coming in from Rome by train and would like guided tour then.

california
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

How do I reach Claudia? What organization does she represent? Approximate prices of tour would be appreciated.

Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

Would you recommend the closed tours (were they better than the standard ones that open)?

THANKS

Cynthia

Philadelphia...
6 posts
5. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

Anyone know if there are tour guides on site? I do not need transport from Rome, just a guide at the site. Thanks

Des Moines, Iowa
5 posts
6. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

Tour from Civitavecchia to Tarquinia with Luigi Vitale October 2014

Tarquinia is an ancient Etruscan city about 15 miles from Civitavecchia, the port for Rome. Since we had previously spent time in Rome, we wanted to do something else while our ship was in Civitavecchia, so we decided on Tarquinia and found Luigi on Internet. We had a great time with him. He met us at the gangway when the ship docked. Passengers on independent tours must use a shuttle bus, provided by the port, to get into town. Luigi knew his way around the shuttle bus and we soon found ourselves in town. Parking is always a problem, so Luigi had arranged for to take the local bus to Tarquinia. Since we really enjoy getting into the local culture, this was a great idea.

We had a fun 20-minute ride to a beautiful little town. Walking is certainly the best way to see and appreciate Tarquinia. We enjoyed the history, buildings and architecture as well as the National Museum. Luigi suggested we go there rather than going to the Necropolis to see the tombs. He said that we would get a much better idea of what the tombs were like because artifacts from the Necropolis, as well as some entire tombs were displayed at the museum. The display was fantastic. We are not really “museum people”, and we told Luigi that. So, he moved us right through the museum, being sure we saw the highlights. We really appreciated the quick museum tour, as it gave us time to visit City Hall and see the beautiful City Council Chamber that has been in use for hundreds of years. With beautiful churches, towers, streets, plazas and most interesting laundry, it is a great little town to visit. Luigi also knew where the best Gelato was made. After a short bus ride back, Luigi showed us many sites around Civitavecchia. It is a working port city, but it has a lot to offer; many beautiful buildings, churches, food and artwork. There is a lot to see within easy walking distance of the shuttle bus to the ship.

As for Luigi himself, he was a lot of fun, very knowledgeable and willing to tailor the tour to meet our wishes. It seemed like he knew almost everyone in town and he did know everyone at the port. It turns out that he is an interpreter for port security. His English is excellent. He also guides tours to Rome and Tuscany. I am pleased to recommend him in glowing terms.

http://tourguide.altervista.org/ vitale.tourguide@gmail.com

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,429 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

I myself wish that these glowing testimonials would be accompanied by the price of the service.

Des Moines, Iowa
5 posts
8. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

Hello:

The price depends upon the amount of time you wish to spend on the tour and the number of people involved. Our guide, Luigi Vitale e-mailed back and forth with us and tailored the tour around our interests. For instance, in Tarquinia I thought it would be good to go to the Necropolis. He said that we should go instead to the museum downtown as that would be much better as they had many more relics and several intact tombs. He said he would be glad to take us to the Necropolis if we wanted to go. Based on his suggestion, we decided to go to the museum and were very very pleased. My wife wanted to see a "real" gelato shop and he arranged that. So... it is hard to post a meaningful price because each tour is individualized and Luigi will work with you. I will say he was very reasonable when compared with ship tours, You couldn't get this type of tour from the ship. I recommend him very highly and suggest contacting him directly, and let him know what you want to see. We spent 5 hours with him (our choice of time), and there was still more to see. Looking back, 6 hours would have been better He is Luigi Vitale --- vitale.tourguide@gmail.com

Edited: 02 December 2014, 15:38
9. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 23:35

Atascocita, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
10. Re: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria

We did essentially the same with Luigi in May 2015 for 30 Euros each. He paid for the bus tickets and the other expenses like lunch were ours. It was a great experience.

Reply to: Tarquinia tour guides -- Artetruria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted