We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way by public transport.

Grenfell, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way by public transport.

Hello.

I am staying in the Vatican area and was wondering what is the best/easiest way to get to Tarquinia by bus or rail for a day trip.

I am finding the rail information confusing especially.

Thankyou.

Paul

10 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,684 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way by public transport.

On www.trenitalia,com click the Italian flag to find English, enter your 'hour' of departure e.g. enter '9' for 09.00, and enter Roma S. Pietro to Tarquinia. To see fares, use a date within the next seven days. Buy tickets in Italy and validate (time/date-stamp) before boarding.

Note that Roma S. Pietro train station is not in the same area as the Ottaviano San Pietro Metro station.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,770 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way by public transport.

Where do you want to end up in Tarquinia? The train station is down in the valley near the port, which requires a bus to get up to the historic center of town

You can either take the train to Civitavecchia and get a bus from there, or to Tarquinia and get a bus from there. Once in Tarquinia it's easy to walk between the museum and the necropolis as they are less than a half mile apart.

The train line is the FL5. The stop in Rome closest to the Vatican is Roma S. Pietro. You can see the train map here: http://atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=18

Tarquinia has a decent tourism web site in English: tarquiniaturismo.it/pagina14_city-of-tarquin…

Edited: 04 April 2015, 13:04
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way by public transport.

I just went to Tarquinia at the beginning of March from Rome. We got on the train at Trastevere station (near where we were staying). We bought tickets to come back at the same time which you can do since it is a regionale train with no fixed seating. Trastevere station is not manned after 2 pm or on weekends, so you have to buy the tickets from a machine it you go when there is not a person there. The Tarquinia station is unmanned period and you would have to buy tickets from a machine if you wait till you come back I get nervous myself about the machine not working/being broken. Last time before this when I was at Trastevere station only one of the ticket machines was working. Not sure what San Pietro is like?

When you get to Tarquina, you go to the front of the station and there are 2 bus lines that can take you into the city. You pay the driver for tickets so have some coins/small bills on you.

The bus leaves you off in front of the Museum. The people inside will help you with a map and how to get to the Necropolis. it is a pleasant walk to there. The tombs were awesome and there was a snack bar open when we were there.

Grenfell, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way by public transport.

Thankyou all for the valuable assistance,

Paul

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way by public transport.

I was wondering the same thing, except I will be leaving Rome from Termini station and then heading towards Arezzo after a stay in Tarquinia for a day or so. Is there a train from Tarquinia to Arezzo?

Thank you so much.

Kyle

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way by public transport.

Here are notes on how to reach Tarquinia from Rome:

http://www.slowtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51997&highlight=rome+

http://www.slowtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51997&highlight=rome+tarquinia

Edited: 16 May 2015, 19:24
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way by public transport.

The link has so much helpful information, but I will be staying five minutes from Termini Station before I go to Tarquinia. Is there a link for that?

Thank you!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way by public transport.

Board the train at Roma Termini going to Tarquinia, rather than at Roma Trastevere The rest of the posting remains the same. Note that the Hotel San Marco in Tarquinia (mentioned in the hyperlinked posting) shut down two or three years ago. However, there are excellent bed and breakfast nearby, including the wonderful Palazzo Rosati b&b across the street from the Archeological Museum.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way by public transport.

Grazie!!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way by public transport.

I just booked a room at the Palazzo Rosati!

Reply to: Best way by public transport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted