We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Altominico family park campground

I am staying here for a couple days at the end of May. Does anyone know how far it is to a bus stop near the park to get around.

19 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Hi, there isn't much public transport near Altomincio so it may be worth thinking about car hire for the time you are there.

These are the reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1060110-d148…

You could send a private message to some of the more recent reviewers asking about public transport.

This may help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1850051-i22753-…

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Hi,

I am only staying for 2 days, Its getting there from Verona, then to Perscheria Del Garda. I can't believe there is not a bus stop near by. Perhaps I will have to get a taxi.

Thank you

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

If you are using public transport and coming from Verona Airport you will first need to get a shuttle bus to Verona:

http://www.aeroportoverona.it/en/aerobus_t2

Then a bus/train to Peschiera:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/162.pdf

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN026.pdf

www.trenitalia.com

From there you will probably have to get a taxi to Altomincio which is about 5-6km from Peschiera.

Alternatively you could just get a taxi from the airport to the campground which will cost about €45.

Once you are there I believe you can hire bikes to get around, or you can use the campsite's shuttle bus as mentioned in the link above.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 10:46
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Hi,

Thank you for the thorough guide of how to get from verona airport to altomincio park, do you know how much a taxi costs from peschiera? Is it worth attempting public transport from verona to altomincio park with 2 young children, a pushchair, 3 suitcases and 3 hand baggage?

We have 2 young children and are visiting altomincio park for 2 weeks next week and don't plan to hire a car maybe bikes? Do you have advise advise on good value offsite supermarkets even if we have to use a taxi to get a big shop in once we arrive?

Please provide any other tips you may have on how to make this break perfect for me, my husband and our 2 girls, aged 21 months and 4 years old.

thanks

karen

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

<<Is it worth attempting public transport from verona to altomincio park with 2 young children, a pushchair, 3 suitcases and 3 hand baggage?>>

Personally I wouldn't try to get there using public transport - you would have to get a bus from the airport followed by another bus or train then a taxi.

Hiring a car - even if just for part of the time - would really make a big difference to making the most of your holiday.

I'm not familiar with the Altomincio Park. It's probably best to read the reviews to see what other people have said. Here's the link again:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1060110-d148…

You could send a private message to some of the more recent reviewers to ask specific questions re supermarkets and the logistics of travelling around using public transport.

Suggestions for places to visit around the lake will depend on your interests. This is the boat timetable:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/…20Rapidi.pdf

And the fares:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/2014eng_tarif…

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but with two weeks it may have been better to have a week at the south of the lake and another elsewhere.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Hi there.

We too are staying at Altomincio at the beginning of July and as there are 6 of us a hire car is going to cost way too much.

I've being doing a bit of research, firstly we have hired a private airport transfer for 100 euro return to and from the campsite and verona airport. Also the campsite have told me they will be running a shuttle bus into Peschiera. There is also a supermarket about a miles walk from the campsite, if you turn left and walk along the river path to Monzambano, here you will also find the bus stop for the 46 apam bus which connects Mantova and Peschiera.

I hope this helps and your family enjoy your stay, we are really really looking forward to it.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Hello,

I have just arrived today at the park.We. were staying at the Verona airport hotel, wouldn't particularly recommend but got a free shuttle to train station. Was 6 euro 60 for 1adult and two children. Luckily there was a 46 bus to Monzambano, when we came out of station. 8 euro I turned left off the bus, after given wrong direction from bus driver, but turn right as was told wrong way. Keep walking, right hand fork, bear right down hill and first right. You will come to the river keep following the tower. it 's about 2 km from bus.I did not want to pay 35 euros to get here by taxi. Much cheaper, will go back that way as well. if your case has wheels and children can walk it's fine. We went to info desk and a buggy collected us to check in at reception.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Glad to hear you got there safely.

2km - that's about a 10-15minute walk, right? How did you get your ticket for the 46 bus - do you buy direct from driver on board or did you have to purchase a ticket beforehand?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

I bought the ticket on the bus. I'm trying to get back to Pescheria (Sunday) having a problem as the bus is at 8am or 5pm and have been told by reception £20 for a taxi. They have said the road on the top just outside the park also goes to Monzambano a different way. We are moving onto Bella Italia park for a few days.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Altominico family park campground

Karen we went last year to altomincio for 8 days and didn't hire a car. The reason we choose not to hire was the cost was going to be huge as we don't have a credit card. It seemed like too much hassle to get one for this one trip so we looked into car hire with a debit card which was possible with one company in Bergamo airport but including the excess it would have been €500, we weren't that keen on driving in Italy anyway so ended up not hiring.

We have 3 older kids, we got the bus easily from airport to train station then taxi €35 from Peschiera to Altominico. All of this went smoothly because we had done lots of research and approached it with a relaxed attitude.

The park is in the middle of nowhere with roads that aren't suited to walking. However the bike hire is fantastic and great fun. There is a cycle route that goes to nearby towns. Mozambano is the nearest supermarket it can be reached by this path approx 2km. I regret not hiring them out sooner and exploring more. Apparently there are cheaper bike hire places nearby but I don't know where. If you do hire and get a flat or something there's a number on the bike to call.

We usually get taxis on holidays but it seemed like hard wok getting them from here as you had to trek to reception at least 1k uphill from our mobile. It was cheaper to use the shuttle bus, but you couldn't prebook so if you walked up and it was gone you had to wait. The driver was very reliable though for picking up at the agreed time or you could ring reception and request a time change if required.

The park is lovely for small children, ours were too big and I'm now sure I prefer half board lol. If you've any questions feel free to ask me:-)

Reply to: Travelling from Altominico family park campground
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valeggio Sul Mincio