We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's Club

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Traveller's Club

My husband and I are staying at the Travellers Club in October, we went to Kenya 3yrs ago and stayed at the Voyager (Fabulous, just too expensive this time) we would like to do safari again but thought would wait till we get there before booking, however I have seen reviews/reports about the elephant sanctuary, can anyone give me any more info??

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller's Club

Its a shame that Voyager prices have gone up but I'm sure you'll enjoy Travellers Club (a good second best!).

If you want a specific place book before you go, don't wait until you get there, just in case its not available. Do you mean Mwalunganje near Shimba Hills or the elephant orphanage at Voi? Personally, I wouldn't waste my money going to Mwalunganje (see my review) whereas a safari to Voi Safari Lodge with an afternoon visit to the orphanage would be well worth it. Not all safari companies go to the elephant orphanage so you would need to check that they do and also book a private safari so that you get the option to go there during your afternoon game drive. The babies come back to the stockade around 4.30 for their milk bottle and leaves before bed.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller's Club

I had heard about Shimba Hills, is it worth trying to book from here, can you recommend anyone, is there a website?

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller's Club

You can book this with safari companies before you go. Cant find a website, only this info....

Mwaluganje Elephant Camp

P.O. Box 87649, Mombasa

Tel.: 254 11 5486121-6

Fax: 254 11 5485674/8, 5486109

Located in the Mwaluganje Hills, 15 Kms from Kwale Town. Altitude 250m/825 feet.

Mwaluganje Elephant Santuary is a conservation area for elephants, the great African pachyderm whose numbers were threatened, until quite recently, by the world demand for its precious ivory tusks. Today, thanks to committed conservation action by Kenya's government and private bodies, the elephant is on the road to recovery. Mwaluganje is a shining example of private efforts to make sure this magnificent animal does not disappear.

Set in the heart of the sanctuary is Travellers Mwaluganje Elephant Camp, along the shoulder of a low hill facing a traditional elephant trail, and which allows guests to watch the elephants from the comfort of their well-appointed luxury tents. This is the only tented camp in this new Elephant Sanctuary.

It is the only tented camp in this new sanctuary, and guests have virtually the entire 6,000 acres to themselves. The bird life is prolific and will keep any birdwatcher amazed at the variety and colour of the birds regularly seen throughout the day and early evening.

The traditional African evening camp-fire is the highlight of the day, after an enthralling game drive through the forest and bush. Over a cocktail or cool drink, it is a time to recall the marvels of Africa's nature, and to wonder at the majesty and dignity of the stars of the show - the elephants.

Round off the day with a superbly-cooked meal under the stars, with the background music the hoot of a owl, the yelp of a jackal, the trumpeting of an elephant and occasionally the cough of a distant leopard.

For a very different experience, Mwaluganje Elephant Camp offers the highest standards of comfort, good food, the same attentive and discreet service which characterises the group and, of course, lots of elephants!

Ipswich
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller's Club

Thanks for your advice, will certainly look into it.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller's Club

How far is this elephant sanctuary from bamburi? How much is the trip? How do you book? Can you touchthe elephants?

Thanks

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveller's Club

How far is this elephant sanctuary from bamburi? How much is the trip? How do you book? Can you touchthe elephants?

Thanks

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller's Club

Do you mean the elephant orphanage at Voi? Its about 2-3 hours drive from Mombasa and usually incorporated into a road safari to Tsavo. Permission needs to be sought from either the Sheldrake Trust or Care for the Wild.

Yes you can hug and cuddle the babies, feed them their bottles and have a play. Its wonderful! Visit in the late afternoon when they come back to the stockade after a day in the bush.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller's Club

That sounds amazing!!!! How much is it? How do you get permission from them?

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveller's Club

There's no charge but you can donate to the keepers tea kitty. You have to adopt an orphan through either Care for the Wild or the Sheldrake Trust and then write to them for permission.

A good safari company will encorporate it into your itinerary and afternoon game drive, as long as its a private safari.

10. Re: Traveller's Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi
Recent Conversations