We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to take money

Which Bamburi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
how to take money

hi there , i am staying all inclusive so will only need money fot tips/trips etc

what currency is the best to take ?

are travellers cheques easy to cash ? or is it best to take kenya shillings for tips and pay for trips etc by credit card ?

thanks

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to take money

Hi,

its 2009 do travellers cheques still exist???

If your going to tip then try and use kenyan shillings. If not then take sterling.

Nairobi
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to take money

I would suggest that you do the tipping in Kenya shillings - but change your currency at a bureau de change and not at the hotel - you can save some shilling this way. Trips can be paid for with credit cards

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to take money

Always tip in shillings otherwise they have to find someone to change it for them - usually me!

We take sterling which we change either at the bank in baggage reclaim at Mombasa airport or at a forex in Mombasa. Deposit your cash in your hotel safe. Travellers cheques are a pain and not always easily changed. Take dollars for your entry visa and if you want to avoid the rip off exchange rate in the duty free, take some dollars for that (goods are priced in dollars).

Credit cards are accepted by bigger outlets (sometimes a charge is applied) and ATMs will give you cash from credit or debit cards - tell your bank that you will be using it in Kenya to avoid a red face at the till and a lengthy call back to the UK.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to take money

i would take some money in Shillings for tiping but not much and then you can withdraw the rest of the moeny while you are out there. Please contact your bank first though. I took USD for visas and some for trips as some can be paid for in USD

Dublin
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to take money

I was thinking about how im going to bring money too.

Last year i exchanged my Euro's into USD, before leaving, and then used the forex over in Kenya

But im just after thinking, would it not make more sense if i just exchanged a couple of hundred euros into USD and used the ATM's over there for whatever else i need. In terms of value, surely i get the best rate from the ATM?

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to take money

last year we changed some money at the hotel as we were being a bit lazy and had some pounds and from what i remember the rate was alot better at the atm machine i mean about 10 to 15 shillings better with does not sound much but is when u work it out

derbyshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how to take money

Hi

Just returned from Kikambala and i changed some money at Nat West before i went and got a better rate 109 to the pound than i did in Kenya. Hotel offered 100 to the pound which was rubbish and exchange was 105 so could be worth checking the rate here. By the way fantastic holiday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to take money

It certainly does not make sense to change pounds to dollars for a trip to Kenya where everyone uses shillings. Carry some pounds in cash with you and then use your debit card to withdraw money from the ATMs (notify the bank of your holiday). Your tip is diminished if you give it in foreign currency because they will have to bear the burden of changing it to shillings, and changing small amounts of money is expensive. Travellers cheques are not fun to use, hard to change and more expensive to change but carry them if you fear your debit account being frozen. I pay for all large items by credit card (there's typically a 3% surcharge which can sometimes be negotiated) because you have recourse with your credit card company if a service is not delivered.

9. Re: how to take money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 17:21
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi
Recent Conversations