We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Mahon Plage

Which Fort-Mahon-Plage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Fort Mahon Plage

Hi

Some help needed please! Hoping to stay in France (via Euro tunnel) next summer and can't find out much info on Fort Mahon Plage as a base to stay, wondering if anyone has stayed there or can tell me how it compares to Le Crotoy or Saint Valery which are also on our list !

Thanks

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

Hi poppycat

I think it depends what you want and the type of accomodation you're looking for. We have stayed in this area many times over the last 12 years at different times of the year, and where we have stayed has depended on the season and our requirements.

Can you give some idea of your holiday needs, family and ages and transport etc and I can give some more help. From my previous posts you may gather that I am a fan of St Valery but generally love this coast

wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

HI

Thanks for replying! We are a family of four-12 year old daughter and 16 year old son. We're looking for somewhere pretty with nice views which is also a good base to explore this part of France. Prefer somewhere quite relaxing that is not full of loud music late at night as we'd much prefer a nice meal followed by a stroll before bedtime! ;-)

Le Crotoy sounded lovely and then I read a travel blog that said it was dirty and not worth a visit!! We're looking to book a cottage or apartment-any advice welcome!

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

As I said our favourite is St Valery - it is a lovely small town with plenty to do in and around the area. We have stayed in the campsite Chateau Drancourt approx 2 miles from the town but for preference stay in the town. There are a number of houses and apartments to rent - if money is no object the best are on the quay overlooking the estuary. Watching the tides ebb and flow in the evening with a good bottle of wine beats TV any day!

In the town is the steam railway station where the train starts for regular trips around the bay to Le Crotoy. Our favourite though is the boat trip - either just out into the bay (about 1.5 hours) or further out for a couple of hours. Dress warmly and get there early to have a seat outside on the top deck.

There are some lovely restaurants to return to for lunch or dinner - too many to choose or recommend one. If self catering try the butchers on the main street behind the quay as he does wonderful salt marsh lamb

If you are there on a Sunday the market is a must - if not staying there arrive early as parking is then at a premium. We always order a roasted chicken and potatoes to have with a bottle of wine on return home. If you don't order you may miss out! There is also a very good cheese stall from Boulogne - you will see him clearly as he has a long queue of patient people. Plenty of fish shops as well.

St Valery and Le Crotoy are based on the Somme estuary - St Valery has a small beach (not really worth a visit) Le Crotoy's is much better but disappears when the tide comes in.

So if quick and regular access to a beach are important look further north to Fort Mahon Plage, Quend or Berck where the beaches and dunes are lovely. We always spend some time in these towns but only during the day to visit the beaches as the towns seem less charming and far more modern than St Valery.

Further afield there is shopping at Le Touquet, Amiens Cathedral and the floating allotments and the gardens at Valloires, Dieppe about 1.5 hours south, and of course the Somme battlefields. Our favourite is at Mametz which has the most amazing monument to the Welsh regiment - a large dragon on a plinth in a field in the middle of nowhere.

Hope this helps with your choice - anything else you want to know just ask. I have the addresses of a number of apartment / houses websites but if you google it will come up with long lists!

Amiens, France
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

Hi!

I love The Baie de Somme, Le Crotoy and St Valery being both very interesting little towns with a lot to do. I f you like nature, you won't be disappointed.

On the other hand,the beaches can be a little disappointing if your children like a swim or if you enjoy sunbathing by the sea:St Valery and Le Crotoy being in the estuary, you are dependant on the tide, the sea comes in at 7:00 am for instance. With children, I would recommend Fort-Mahon with a proper sandy beach which stretches for miles.

Hope this helps.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,948 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

I agree with everything Poppycat and Sybil have suggested. We have stayed in the area quite a few times.

However, we actually prefer Merlimont Plage. We just think its a little less busy than the others. But the whole area is absolutely beautiful.

Les Jardins de Valloires are gardens in the grounds of an abbey (I'm not sure whether its still active as a religious entity) and they are fabulous. Not too far from either St. Valerie or Le Crotoy or Berck etc. Definately worth a visit

baiedesomme.fr/les-jardins-de-valloires-clas…

Also appropriate given the current world heath situation, is the Chinese Cemetary near Noyelles sur Mer. Beautifully maintained by the British War Graves Commission, herein lie Chinese labourers who came to help rebuild Northern France after WWI and succumbed to the 1918 flu. From an epidemiological perspective it is both interesting and frightening to read the dates. All were buried within a very short period of time.

Also in the area, nearer to Le Touquet is Etaples Cemetary. AFAI remember it is the largest war cemetary in the Picardy region. There was a field hospital here and those removed from the front were taken here to be treated (obviously not all successfully). Its a very moving location to visit.

And of course, don't forget to pop in to Cite Europe (shopping centre) when you are either arriving or departing. Definately a treat :o)

wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

A BIG thank you for all your advice and info about the area x

Poppycat

7. Re: Fort Mahon Plage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fort-Mahon-Plage
Recent Conversations