We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer

Which Alicante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Debbie Myers
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st timer

Hi,

My daughter is going to be studying in Alicante beginning in January for the semester, probably finishing in late May. My husband and I would like to go visit and I am beginning to look into travel arrangements.

I have never been outside of the US (except Mexico). I am somewhat overwhelmed at the prospect of planning this trip.

So my questions are:

Where in Alicante is a good location to stay. Knowing nothing about the city, I don't know what part is the best. From pictures, I think there might be hotels at the beach?? Is it a swimming beach? Are hotels right there desirable?

Where and how do you reccommend to travel from there? I know I want to spend time in Barcelona, but I'm not sure about distance and transportation. I know we would love to go other places, but I just don't know where.

I imagine we will stay 10 days or so. I don't know yet if we will go in the middle of her stay...March, maybe.....or if we will wait until she is finished and bring her home with us in late May.

I know I need to do much research, so if anyone has suggested resources, I would appreciate that, too!

Thanks so much!

Deb

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,740 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer

Deb:

The Melia Hotel is a 4 star hotel on the beach and close to downtown.

To go to Barcelona, there are buses. I do not know if there is a train. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online to check availability. Read Best Sights of Barcelona.

Also read Best Sights of Alicante in TA.

norfolk
Level Contributor
837 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer

I have never stayed in Alicante so really know nothing about the hotels but have often though as I have walked past it that it would be a good hotel to stay at because of the location

We have been to Spain a few time but always stay in El Campello which is further down the coast, there is a really good tram that goes from Alicante all the way along the coast stopping along the way and ends up at Denia, it's really easy to do.

We were very wary when we first went as we don't really speak Spanish and I freely admit I am a wimp, but we have managed to explore and try lots of things and have only got a little lost!

There is a railway station in Alicante which I am sure goes to Barcelona, have never used the train and Barcelona is still on my wish list but I am sure it can be done from Alicante, will make enquiries if you get no feedback on here.

As to when you go depends what you want from the weather, we went this year in March and the weather was cold and wet, March is sometimes not too good.

Your best bet to research is to google, it's amazing what info you can get, put in webcams alicante, there are 2 good ones just to get you in the mood.

If I can be of any help just ask.

Regards

Jean.

norfolk
Level Contributor
837 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer

Sorry a bit dozy of me but it was the Melia Hotel in the previous post that I was talking about.

Jean

Debbie Myers
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer

thanks for the feedback! I think we will be going early April. I really don't know about anything else yet, but I can see that this will take some planning~!

norfolk
Level Contributor
837 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer

Just one thing to think about when deciding your dates is that Easter is at the beginning of April next year, there are always lots of processions and events during this period which you may or may not want to experience.

Jean

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer

IMO, April thru June is the perfect season for Alicante. Also you have the opportunity to know two great festivals: 'Moros y Cristianos' (on April 23) at Alcoy, near Alicante, and 'Hogueras de San Juan (on June 24) in Alicante itself.

General info about Alicante:

spain.info/TourSpain/…

The 'Moros y Cristianos' festival:

spain.info/tourspain/…

The 'Hogueras de San Juan' festival:

spain.info/TourSpain/…

7. Re: 1st timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2010, 04:17