We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

el campello

southwest
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
el campello

Thinking of visiting here,

1. what is the best area to stay in, would be looking for a 3 bedroom, of a excellent standard any recommendations

2. Is there much in way of activities for 12 and 10 year olds

norfolk
Level Contributor
841 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: el campello

We have been to El Campello many times and last year took our son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren who are 8 and 6 and they loved it, saying that your children are older and their expectations may be greater.

There is a lovely beach and we spent a lot of time there as that was what they wanted, the tram gives excellent and easy access to the theme parcs etc near Benidorm and we went to Aqualandia for the day which they enjoyed, also Alicante as the Santa Barbara castle is awesome and worth a visit.

We like the fact that Campello is relaxing and has a lovely atmosphere but has good tram links to more touristy areas.

If you look on holidaylettings.co.uk at the Edifico Macarena appartment, that is where we stayed, it is in a great location and I can highly recommend it.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jean.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: el campello

Hi Jean

What is your idea of the best places to eat & drink in Campello? I'd like more traditional places, nothing too fancy - are the places on the seafront worth a go or best avoided?

Thanks in advance

norfolk
Level Contributor
841 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: el campello

The restaurants on the seafront are all more expensive than the ones in town but you can't beat eating with a view, for a low key meal Vanity's do some great dishes which are all reasonably priced, it's at the left end of the promenade if you are standing with the sea behind you, at the other end towards the marina is the Mar De Tapas, there is a street off the promenade, you follow the pavement round by the el lobo bar where the webcam is sited, we used this place a lot when we were there in March and had some lovely meals there, they also brought a different tapas with every beer we ordered and these were good,

There are lots of places along the front where you can just stop for a beer and there is something about a hot day, a cold beer and just relaxing watching the waves coming in, you can't beat it.

Regards,

Jean.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: el campello

Re. last sentence, I know! Will be there in 3 weeks and can hardly wait. Thanks for the info, the tapas place sounds really nice - will let you know my thoughts on the place in general when I return.

norfolk
Level Contributor
841 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: el campello

Not sure how it will tie in with your trip but the fiesta de la virgen del carmen will be on in Campello, finishing on the 16th July, we have never been there when this one is on, but these events are worth seeing, if you ask at the tourist board which is on Calle de san Bartolome, at the end near the marina I am sure they will give you all the info you need, they are very helpful and you can get maps of Alicante and Benidorm here also.

Jean.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: el campello

Hi Jean - & Devonian if you're still reading, & anyone else contemplating!

Just had a glorious week; weather was faultless & Spain winning World Cup into the bargain :) We did not actually stay in Campello, (we were prob. a mile or so down towards Alicante, on Pla. Muchavista) but Campello was rather nice & I would be happy to holiday there - if you are of a type that likes it 100% more chilled than Benidorm then this is your place! Transport to get to Benidorm, Alicante or anywhere else is excellent too; well, by tram at least, as that is all I used - I dare say the buses aren't bad either.

We did not do any major day trips since, when you only have one week, it makes the time fly too quickly but there is a fair bit to do around there. Alicante itself was very nice - I would not want to stay there but it was nice to visit, & it really comes alive at night. Did the castle & it was lovely, excellent view of everywhere.

I may add more as I've lost my train of thought, I had a *slight* (read MAJOR!) little hiccup with Easyjet which has rendered me brain dead - until I can get some sleep in - but the area has my vote, most definitely :-)

norfolk
Level Contributor
841 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: el campello

Hi there,

Glad you had a good holiday and some good (and perhaps some not so good ?) memories.

It's hard to give an opinion of whats good or not as all people have different ideas on what they want from a holiday, but I am glad you enjoyed yourselves and what a time to be there, when I am sure the Spanish were celebrating in their unique style.

Regards

Jean.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: el campello

Hi again

Good memories yes, would definitely repeat. Where we were was extremely quiet (which is just how we like it) and any decent eating or drinking involves a walk or tram ride. I barely heard any other accents other than Spanish - no complaints from me on that score! - I get the impression that Campello is where the Spanish themselves take a holiday more so than other nationalities; let's hope it stays that way ;)

Yes I do agree; it's tricky recommending anything in particular - even restaurants - as it is a personal taste. As for the restaurants, did not get to try the places you recommended. We did eat along the seafront but were cautious: we were not flushed with cash this trip & there were a great many places serving some very good looking raciones - a board up in Spanish which I can understand most of but no prices. We were pretty ravenous so I know we would have ordered more than absolutely necessary & then prob. gasped at the bill! Had a pizza in Brel after the football; really nice food & very reasonable; also ate in Mistral which have set menu for 50e (for 2) with wine, which wasn't bad at all. Personally, the best food I had around there was at La Alegria - on the seafront outside Campello, walking towards Muchavista - amazing value & amazing food.

Unfortunately, we missed the procession on the 16th - I've seen this sort of thing a few times before but my chap has not - but the fireworks were very good indeed, the seafront was even more packed than when the football was on.

9. Re: el campello

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Alicante