We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning Mind your belongings

Kerry
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Warning Mind your belongings

Just a quick word of warning:my husband and I are on holiday in Alicante. We were walking down the Marina at 11.00am when we witnessed a man in his 40's snatch a woman's handbag. She was taking a photograph of the marina and had briefly put her bag down. It was very opportunistic and calculated as the man then sprinted in to an underground carpark. The woman who was robbed attempted to chase him but was unable to catch him. It must have bern extremely upsetting. We were shocked to see this at this hour of the morning when there were quite a few people out walking. Its such a shame that this exists in this otherwise beautiful area. Please be very careful with your belongings

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,449 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

Jamie:

You can never let your guard down even in tranquil surroundings. I feel pity for this woman.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

Thanks for the warning, which must apply to most of Spain, certainly those resorts along the coast.

Jamie, didn't you fancy giving chase?

Ireland
Level Contributor
886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

Whatever about giving chase (great to be brave from hundreds of miles away) people need to be aware that petty crime is on the increase in most countries in Europe. Nothing like a recession for an increase in bag-snatching and or mugging.

I am amazed how many people keep large amounts of cash in handbags/pockets while on holiday. Safe boxes built into walls back in hotels or apartments are not 100% safe either.

These days there are bank atm machines nearly everywhere and cash is easily available 24/7 and there is no need to carry large amounts of cash.

Therefore, I would recommend taking out insurance beforehand against robbery (not very expensive) while on holiday. It is always great to have some reassurance by insurance and it may save some bravado robbed person from risking his/her life by tackling the robber/mugger.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
552 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

I agree with all of this. I lived in Alicante and made a habit of putting my bag under the benches while sitting but putting my leg through the strap and my boyfriend just threw his under. He learned the hard way when he ended up running through the streets after a thief. Never did get the bag back and that led to a trip to Madrid on the night train for a new passport. Be very careful about your belongings. The marina area attracts many thiefs because of the amount of tourist. Keep an eye out.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

I will remind folk about a post I put on here a few weeks ago , be also aware at the airport . Be vary wary of strangers asking you questions to catch you off guard and distract you while an accomplice helps themselves to items in your bags! Not a good start to anyones holiday.

Brighton
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

Thai kind of thing happens in almost every city in the world.

lancashire england
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

I visited Alicante in june , whilst at the bus station a man approached me and tried to engage me in conversation to distract me whilst his friend looked for an opportunity to steal my handbag. Fortunately I was wary about this from reading the postings on the forum .

Coatbridge
Level Contributor
376 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

Saw a guy stab a man for his mobile phone in London. Was threatened myself by a junkie with a broken bottle wanting my wallet in Glasgow. I have never in my many, many visits to Alicante been harrased or felt threatened but like any large city with a mixed population some people see tourists as a soft target.

You will read similiar postings as the one that started this thread on many of the forums on Trip Advisor. Sadly we live in a world where it is just part of life. Alicante is a great city with friendly people. Don't let it put you off.

Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

What other tips do you guys have to avoid this from happening to.you while visiting spain??

Brighton
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning Mind your belongings

Use the same common sense you would use in any city in the world.

Get answers to your questions about Alicante