We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Which Alicante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
519 reviews
Save Topic
Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

I used Argus, was told online we had to pay €40 at the rental place Dickmanns when we arrived at the airport, when we got there we had to pay €128 !!!!! Also Dickmanns charged our credit card €300 deposit before telling us we had to pay €128 for the car, so even if we wanted to cancel it was still going to cost us the fees for the credit card transaction abroad! Also they charge you €1.87 per litre for petrol when the actual forecourt price is €1.46 !!!! What a rip off these 2 places are, still it looks like we got off lightly when you compare it to the other horror stories on here about them!

166 replies to this topic
Devon
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

We also hired a car from Dickmanns using Atlaschoice car hire November to December 2012. We have just found 40 Euros extra has now been taken from our credit card.Likewise we will not be using them again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Fight it all the way! Tell your credit card company it's an unauthorised transaction and they'll stop the payment, then write to Dickheads, er sorry I mean Dickmanns, and get them to prove whatever it is why they've taken YOUR money. Just give them as much hassle as possible!

Berwick upon Tweed
Level Contributor
61 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

We too got ripped off by Dickmanns at Murcia airport, gave them a pre paid voucher from Carjet, but they still charged my credit card 370 euro's, took car hire charge again. few emails to carjet and a letter to carjet managing director, got me a refund from Dickmanns. will not use Dickmanns again

Almeria, Spain
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

We have had 2 bad experiences with Dickmanns at Murcia Airport and will never use them again but feel that this company should be investigated.

1. We hired a car in Summer 2012 and were charged 100 euros for fuel but as it was one of those cars with 2 seats in the boot (advertised as a 7 seater but with 7 holidaying adults in it absolutely impossible to put any luggage in it at all!) we assumed it had a larger fuel tank so we swallowed the 100 euros.

2. We hired a car from 16/2 to 9/3 and currently still have it till we return it next Saturday. It is a small economy Vauxhall and they have charged us 110 euros for fuel. There was nothing we could do other than to pay the charge as we had already paid upfront for the car hire and would have lost the car hire fee had we refused to pay on collection. However, we are certainly putting up a fight against this charge now and will not rest until we are refunded a reasonable amount of money to take the charge down to an acceptable amount.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

I endorse all the comments above. They have taken 600 euros from my account and refuse to repay it. No one seems capable of doing anything and too scared to rock the boat.

Why doesn't Argus - or the credit card companies take action against them?

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

My understanding is that argus are merely brokers who then give details to car rental companies. Fuel policies stated in terms and conditions. I always pick up with full tank and return with full tank. Then if you don't do much mileage you can just top up yourself before you return the car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Argus are totally complicit in this rip off! I don't know how you can say they are merely brokers, what a load of nonsense! Explain how I am told it will be €40 on THEIR website and then when I get to Dickmanns I am charged €128!

And then regarding taking the car full of petrol and then returning it full, well this is not an option! You are charged for a full tank of petrol at WAY OVER THE MARKET RATE and then you MUST give the car back empty (something which actually is an impossibility, there is no drain valve on a car!), so whatever is left in the car goes to Dickmanns, your petrol, their profit!

RIP OFF, CLEAR AND STRAIGHT!!!

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Argus are brokers who operate under cartrawerls which is an Irish company. The fuel policy is stated in their terms and conditions. I agree it's a rip off I am not defending them. Merely stating what is in the terms and conditions for argus which is in very small print.

Darlington
Level Contributor
858 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Up to now I have never had any problems with them (touch wood!), both Alicante and Murcia in the last month.

I always use either full to full or half full to empty policy, I find it cheaper for me that way.

I am booked to use them again next week so maybe I have spoken to soon!!! :(

Sandbach, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Via "DoYouSpain" I was provided with a Skoda Fabia 1.2 car from 17/03/2003 for 13 days. Car ran very well.

However, on collection of car at San Javier airport at 21:15, I paid by NatWest Mastercard the rental fee plus full tank of fuel, 58.70 & 85 Euros respectively - Fabia tank held 45 ltrs = rate of 1.89 Euros per lltr. RIP OFF.

I was informed a "Swipe of my Card" would enable a damage deposit of 300 Euros be held in abeyance but no money would be actually taken. In fact my subsequent statement from NatWest showed they did take this amount at the time of collecting the car. But a greater issue now exists. At the time of taking possession of the car I and two independent witnesses pointed out minor damage to drivers wheel arch. This damage was acknowledged by Dickmanns rep. and my Pink Copy of contract duly marked and signed. On my return to UK I E-Mailed Dickmanns Offices for reimbursement of the 300 Euros taken, only to be informed that I returned the car damaged ie the damage pointed out at time of car collection. I am currently awaiting further developments, having notified NatWest of this issue.

Regarding Dickmanns Car Rentals DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLE

ps They also fail to provide Emergency Vests which are a legal requirement in Europe

The supply of FULL Tank and return EMPTY is standard policy. Again another RIP OFF.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 16:11
Reply to: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted