We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
570 reviews
Save Topic
Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

I used Argus, was told online we had to pay €40 at the rental place Dickmanns when we arrived at the airport, when we got there we had to pay €128 !!!!! Also Dickmanns charged our credit card €300 deposit before telling us we had to pay €128 for the car, so even if we wanted to cancel it was still going to cost us the fees for the credit card transaction abroad! Also they charge you €1.87 per litre for petrol when the actual forecourt price is €1.46 !!!! What a rip off these 2 places are, still it looks like we got off lightly when you compare it to the other horror stories on here about them!

171 replies to this topic
LT
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

There was really no need to encourage us regarding full insurance, since we had our opinion and new the risks. But it seems they get some bonus, since I can't understand why they use high tone, misleading arguments. Believe me my English was not the problem.

I have rented a car multiple times and had no problems with car cleanness. I admit that there was sand in the car but... There was no remark about that when car was checked on the return. I was billed two days after I got home. And for vacuuming the car (which they do for all the cars) they took 75 euros.

Sorry nakagoli, if you think that is ok, you should rent car from them ;) But be aware that they will find the way how to rob you. PS. their gasoline prices are also something unknown, but that is for you to find out...

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

nakagoli I'm with you on this one. You said yourself you'd left rubbish in the car, hardly dickmanns fault that there were no rubbish bins. Normal people would take rubbish with them until they found a bin. Regarding fuel, yet again fuel costs are stated in T&Cs so you weren't ripped off or scammed as you agreed to their T&Cs. If you didn't want to pay that much for fuel, then use a different rental firm where you can fill up yourself. I always use a firm where I can book online without having to give credit card details, then pay on pick up

Padiham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

The only good review Dickmanns will get will be from their own staff posting lies!! the company are con merchants and nothing less. Avoid the thieves at all costs, I am still fighting for my £407.84p they robbed from me for damage that I did not do! the car they hired me was a right beat up piece of junk, with damage all over it.

They would not even look over the car on collection or return, they just lie and steal from you. DICKMANNS YOU THEIVES, I HAVE NOT FINISHED IN MY CAMPAIGN TO GET YOU CLOSED DOWN !!! I will get satisfaction, you chose to rip off the wrong person in me a--holes!!

Yarm, United Kingdom
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
74. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

i used dickmanns and got ripped off on fuel.

they charged me 89 euros for a tank full. except the car only holds 40 euros worth.

they office guy shrugged his shoulders and said "its how we make our money"

i said yes from stealing!

Yarm, United Kingdom
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
75. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

good for you buddy. keep it up. thieving bastards

Bedford, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
76. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

We used this company beginning of July and made the deposit through the credit card. Unlike other companies Dickmanns put through the authorisation rather than just placing a hold on the amount. BEWARE this costs non sterling transaction fees which of course are not reimbursed. Costly car hire.

Javea, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Its also a nice little con how it takes them so long to refund your 400 Euro deposit. Imagine the interest on all those 400 Eoros stuffed in the bank.

Javea, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Its now 95 euros for a Ford Focus to fill up the tank

Edited: 17 July 2014, 10:26
Yarm, United Kingdom
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
79. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

Yep, with card charges I lost about an extra £20. It took 2 weeks to be returned too.

Never ever again will I use these. Thieving bastards.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off

#78. yes, shocking isnt it? imagine, ford fitting a tank in their car that holds 60l ! so to fill the tank will cost close on 80-90€ , and then there is an admin charge , often made by many companies. this is because an employee has to be taken off another job to go and fill the car. but why not return the car full ? then there would be no refueling charge.

#79. charming language!

Edited: 17 July 2014, 11:28
Reply to: Dickmanns car hire & Argus Rip Off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alicante