We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

Which Alicante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

The Alicante forum is a mess!

On the initial page, which features the first 20 questions about Alicante, 14 are for queries related to car hire at the airport.

Queries regarding ALC (which since July 2013 is officially named Alicante-Elche Airport - even though the closest population remains El Altet) might possibly belong in the "Alicante Province" forum but they certainly don't belong in the "Alicante" forum.

I have posted more information (and a request for a new ALC forum) here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187524-i605-k67…

I know there aren't that many of us who perdically glance through Tripadvisor specifically for questions relating to Alicante but the current situation does muddy the waters and make identification of questions relating to the actual city a bit like finding pins in a mulchy haystack.

Please could we give ALC or Alicante-Elche Airport it's own forum and thus clean up the Alicante forum so that it is clearer and more inviting?

I know most visitors don't care about the distinction between Alicante and Alicante Province, but I do. Surely I can't be the only one? And even if I am, the fact that I really do care should count for something.

England
Level Contributor
104 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

Fully agree with you, though if you think this forum is crowded with car hire/transport posts you should see the Faro forum. I, too, tend to look at 2 or 3 forums related to places I visit regularly; partly because I may be able to answer questions, and partly to keep up to date and pick up information that might be helpful for the next visit.

Coatbridge
Level Contributor
376 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

People ask questions that are relevent to them and I don't have a problem with that. Car hire questions are obviously important to many contributers given the amount of them so whether we like it or not that is what people find important for their trip to Alicante. I can't see that changing. If people were to search the forum before posting most would find answers to many of their queries.

London
Level Contributor
339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

thehappytourist

I have no problem with people asking questions about car hire, far from it. In fact, if they were asking questions relating to car hire companies operating within the confines of Alicante city I would more than welcome those queries.

My concern is that the car hire posts and questions are all relating to companies and services operating from ALC, the airport.

The airport isn't within Alicante, in fact, it is under Elche's jurisdiction. And many of the queries are those from people who are not going to Alicante and might be best answered by folks who do not know Alicante city very well or have little interest in the city.

"so whether we like it or not that is what people find important for their trip to Alicante"

But do you mean their trip to Alicante province or their trip to Alicante city? This is the whole point of this thread. I'm saying that many of those who are travelling to Alicante province are posting in the Alicante city forum. It ISN'T the same thing.

bluebrock gets it. Thanks for the support!

London
Level Contributor
339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

Don't mean to post as two different people, it just depends which computer I'm using - they have minds of their own these things....

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

Otra-mas, I can see your frustration but when a person chooses to hire a car from the airport it is Alicante that is on their paperwork, only someone who lives here or who is familiar with the region will know that the airport comes under ELX/ELCHE. The airport has had many names but has always been known as Alicante and its code is ALC as you know.

You have to remember that most people coming to the area don't know about provinces or communidads and are first timers to this region that is why they are asking the questions or relaying their bad experience with the car hire firms, which in my opinion their isn't a good one to be had.

You are very informative about Alicante city and do reply to questions on the city when they are asked, I just think that we have to remember not everyone is familiar with tripadvisor and some are using it for the first time.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

A lot of the forums are full of car hire questions - if people took the time to read previous questions/answers it would save a lot of repetitive posts.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 11:07
London
Level Contributor
339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

I understand about the confusion between Alicante Province and Alicante City and don't expect familiarity - in fact I'm the LAST person to expect familiarity, I'm grateful if visitors to the area can distinguish Spain from Mexico given the souvenirs so many have brought back over the years!

My proposal is that visitors to the forums are given the option "Alicante Airport" (or Alicante Elche Airport if the administrators wish to be accurate). Simples. Facilísimo!

Since this is not currently there for anyone to select it's not surprising people plump for Alicante to dump their car hire warnings and complaints. I get it. I just don't get why Tripadvisor's lack of options for those who may or may not give a flying figa about Alicante's local politics and geography should be accepted by those of us who choose to frequent here.

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

We've just returned from a disastrous holiday in El Campello, the best bits of which were spent in Alicante City - a lovely place. We fell between http://www.mediterraneanlettings.com/ who advertised and took payment for a supposedly up market property for our family of 6, and a French owner who felt his thirty year old villa was more than up to the standards presented. Mediterranean Lettings washed their hands of it saying that they only handle the money but our contract is with the owner. They have ceased to deal with that property. We had broken toilet seat, broken fans, one portable a/c (villa described as having a/c), collapsing bed, bedroom minus door, 2 wardrobes in entire villa, ants, cockroach, and an ensuite with a drip from hot tap so effectively cold only in wash basin. We've always dealt directly with owners and this time thought the 'letting co' would be fine. They effectively do nothing for the money but take a lot of money for things like pre/post clean, sheets, €75 for a food starter pack, etc. I'd like to publicise this so that other families do the sensible thing and book directly or use due care if using an agent? Can you help? By the way, when compensation suggested, letting agent said speak to owner and owner said speak to agent.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

I'm sorry about your experience gorpo59.

Looking at the Terms & Conditions related to your contract they are very much in favour of themselves and the chalet owners rather than you as a consumer

mediterraneanlettings.com/mostrartexto.php…

They stipulate that the contract is between you and the owner of the chalet

They also say that any problems must be brought up immediately whilst you are at the property.

You have not said what Mediterranean Lettings agreed to do whilst you were there in order to remedy the situation. There is a mention about writing to them within 28 days but not much is added to this, not sure what it is you are supposed to expect from such a complaint.

In your position, if the letting company had not been able or willing to address my concerns or provide a suitable alternative immediately as they offer to do in their T&Cs I would have gone to their offices and demanded a copy of their Libro de Reclamaciones in which I would have wrote my complaint.

Only sensible advice I can give is to look carefully at any T&Cs in the future,the one positive thing about this letting company is that the details are written in good, easily digested English (not obfuscated in obscure and never ending legalese). It gives a lot of rights to the agency and to the property owners, very few to you the consumer. My impression is that there's not much of an incentive to get things right for the letting company.

I am glad it wasn't all awful and that you enjoyed Alicante city. Shame the French villa owner hadn't spent time at IKEA, IKEA must have done more to raise standards at rental chalets and apartments in Eastern Spain than any other entity!

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alicante Forum - Clean Up desperately needed

Thanks for your response. We emailed and had numerous telephone conversations but eventually I realised that we were getting nowhere. It began to feel too much like work! The letting company had the owner call us effectively passing the buck. The owner said the letting company misrepresented him.. His wife even said 'but we thought there were only three or four of you', having completed a contract that insisted on our 6 passport numbers and even my partner's age, I found this crazy. Even to the last day, Mediterranean Lettings said they had stopped representing this owner yet they still had us out by 12 noon for the next family. We had to store our bags at Alicante bus station - which is no hardship really as they were helpful there and we got the bus to the airport saving some money. We just hope this doesn't happen to others. Please warn others! :-)

Get answers to your questions about Alicante