We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

London
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

I'm renting a car for 3 months from Alicante Airport and got competitive rates with Centauro and Firefly. The fuel policies are all clearly in the T&Cs so I'm not worried about that, however I am worried about the condition of the car. If I'm paying a large sum to rent a car for 3 months, ideally i'd like it to be nearly-new, however I have read 30+ reviews about Firefly on review centre, all of which mention how battered, dented and old their cars are.

When I rent a car, I would like the peace of mind that the car is in excellent condition and it's not going to cause me any problems (obviously problems sometimes happen, but I would like the risk to be as low as possible!)

Has anyone any experience of vehicles from Centauro and Firefly? Are Firefly's cars really as battered as everyone says? What about Centauro?

31 replies to this topic
Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

I've never used Firefly but have been using Centauro for nearly 20 years. The cars have always been in a good condition and with low mileage. For the first time the car they gave me a couple of weeks ago had a couple of small scratches near the bumper, but that's been the only time (I took photos just in case they queried it on return, but they didn't).

cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

Got a nearly new Toyota Aygo from Firefly this year, no problems.

Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

I recently used FireFly from Alicante airport, booked by a web broker service in the UK.

Personally, I will never use them again. We had to wait for nearly 2 hours to be processed by them after arriving from the UK, nearly as long as the flight! Their office is in the multi-storey carpark and was packed with people all waiting around to be seen. There is no waiting area, just a dirty car park floor and in August, this was very hot and humid. We had to pay for their extra insurance cover as we were told that roadside breakdown was not included (8 euro a day) which was a surprise as I originally thought I had booked everything (something I'm taking up with the broker). We booked a family sized car and received an old battered and dented Seat Altea with over 150,000 km on the clock. Unfortunately we were not advised of the supplier name via the broker booking service so had no way of checking up on them before arriving, but I wish I'd had the opportunity!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

Would I recommend? – NO!!!!

We’ve just returned from a lovely holiday in Alicante but wanted to share our experience of Firefly Car Rental.

To begin with, their office is not located in the luxury of the air conditioned main terminal building but instead is on the 1st floor of the multi storey car park.

We booked Firefly Car Rental through ‘DoYouSpain.com’ after getting a really competitive rate and 5 days before we went decided to pre pay the rental to save us time at the airport. As you would expect with Firefly being one of the cheapest car rentals, there were a lot of people waiting outside their booking office. The procedure was to take a ticket (just like you would at the deli counter at your local supermarket) and then stand in their Waiting Area until your number is called. In our case this took 50 minutes!!

As per the booking confirmation I knew that although CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) was included, fuel and the optional Super CDW and PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) was not! I was pleasantly surprised when they didn’t offer me the optional insurance as I always feel you are being pressured into taking this when abroad.

Having collected the keys we went to the vehicle, in our case a Hyundai i20. We could see straight away that there was some bodywork damage. On closer inspection there was a dent (with rust) on the nearside front wing meaning it had been there a while, a dent in the rear plastic bumper, a large dent in the offside sill and a dent on the offside front wing. We weren’t overly concerned and took the vehicle. Mechanically it was sound and never let us down it just needed the damage putting right.

Later when I was reading the Rental Agreement I noticed the reason why the optional insurance hadn’t been mentioned. This was because they had just charged me for it!!! €42.00 for the SCDW and €21.00 for the PAI plus 21% VAT on both. As for fuel, they charged us €95.78 including VAT for a full tank. I have since found out that the fuel tank capacity of the Hyundai i20 is 45 litres which equates to €2.13 per litre!!! The forecourt price for fuel is only €1.41 per litre so just imagine how much money they are making. So what started out as a good price turned out to be an expensive one.

In conclusion, would I recommend Firefly? – A DEFINATE NO!!

If you do decide to use them, just be weary of the above.

Abruzzo, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

I am puzzled and worried but will try the experience. I have made a resrvation on FLYCARE from 17 December until end of February. First the reservation was made via the company I am flying from Brussels to

Alicante, JETAIR. they proposed me and I accepted a price of 279 euro for the period 17 decembre-16 February. I found put that the company they used was FIREFLY. By checking on the web I found out that FIREFLY was proposing for same period of time 163 EURo for same category of car. SSo i called JETAIR and cancelled my reservation and booked directly with FIREFLY.

I am taking my IPAD, and make a full report of how the rental took place, good or bad experinece, we shall see.

What is worrying is the connection of UK companies, selling by Internet in third countries (Jetair and firefly) and also TRIP Advisor.... I wonder if a complaint from a non IK citizien, if the case will be treated with equity. Said that we shall see, it is not excluded I get a good car.....

otello Micucci

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

Dont rent from them. They have lots of.hidden charges (both doyouspain and firefly charge you), they pressure you into taking extra insurance and their customer service is terrible. You have been warned!

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

Hi I was supplied with a brand new corsa from firefly after the first car they gave me had the engine warning light on and there was no oil on the dip stick. I was also charged for insurance which I did not need and staff were telling customers to bring the cars back full of fuel when on the rental agreement it says bring back empty. They were also still charging a re fuelling fee.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

never again rent from doyouspain and firefly, Doyouspain told me 120 euro all in , pay for fuel when you get the car. Firefly gave me an old small car ,charge me 99euro for fuel , 55euro tax another airport tax and so on. From a cheep car hire it was the most expensive i ever rented. Total came around 300euro for a week.

I rent 5 times a year never firefly again and do you Spain.

You wonder they changed there name some years ago, they use old cars that HERTZ can't rent anymore.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

I hired from Centauro at Alicante airport a couple of years ago with no real problems. This time (June 2014) they were not able to supply with the type of car that I wanted and not a suitable alternative at a reasonable price.

Drivalia could not supply me with a small automatic either, so I ended-up going through Atlaschoice. Initially I ordered a Volkswagen Polo auto for £85 for 9 days. It was only after I had paid and received a receipt email that I was told that the car would be supplied by Dickmanns. After what I had read here I became rather concerned, but Atlaschoice contacted me the next day to say that Dickmanns could not supply the car. Instead I was offered a 'Ford Focus or similar' from Solmar at £135 for 9 days. I took this deal, adding excess insurance for a total of £152, but was only offered a full-empty fuel policy. I tried a quote direct on the Solmar website, but could not get such a good deal.

I was picked-up promptly by Solmar from the airport for the short trip to their depot. The fuel charge worked out at around £92 which was a bit steep and they also told me that they would not honour the Atlaschoice excess policy directly - I would have to pay Solmar for any damage deemed and reclaim later from the Atlaschoice policy. The actual car supplied was a very low milage (800km) Opel Astra 1.4 Turbo with leather interior, which performed perfectly and was returned to Solmar with no quibbles at the end of the rental period. I'd certainly consider Solmar again, but would prefer a Full-Full fuel policy and use their own excess for convenience.

Manchester
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport

ADD RECORD CAR HIRE to the list. Picked up Corsa yesterday from Record car hire. Not new and could do with a service. Bits missing or broken and stuttering. Was charged €91.99 for petrol! When my husband queried this extortionate amount the desk attendant explained that €23.99 of it was a refuelling change. This meant that the petrol was €68. We were then told whatever petrol was left in the tank we would get a refund for. Good news we thought. If we bring it back full, we will have a full refund. Not so. He said we had to bring in a receipt from the nearest petrol station as proof of refilling. However, we still would not get the €23.99 refuelling charge. YET ANOTHER CAR HIRE SCAM. Come on Spain, sort this out. There is a piece in local Spanish press this week promising to investigate this. Long overdue I think. We have been hiring cars for 12 years and used nearly all the car hire companies but quite honestly it feels like you have to be prepared for a battle each time whoever you choose.

Reply to: Centauro, Firefly Car Rental Alicante Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alicante