We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Hello,

I was looking to visit Cuetzalan this summer. I would do from Puebla and, ideally, go on to Papantla (Poza Rica de Hidalgo) from there. I have searched the ADO site, rome2rio.com, and other sites but have not found information on bus routes for this area. Any help you could give would be much appreciated. Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

The VIA company run hourly from Puebla to Cuetzalan, journey takes 4 hours. Schedules are not available online. To get from Cuetzalan to Papantla is probably easiest by going back to Puebla.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Thanks again, Steve.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Leaving *from* Cuetzalan by bus, what destinations are available? I'm hoping to get over to Coatepec, or at least to Veracruz, rather than having to go there by way of Puebla.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

For what it's worth, I passed on Cuetzalan until I can do it to and from Puebla. I didn't time in my trip to play around in uncertainties nor to go back to Puebla. Buses don't always have routes there like you'd hope they do.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Heh, isn't that the truth. :)

I have an entire year in Mexico, so I can absorb lost days here and there to "mañana" & "qué será, será." :)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Quickest way to Veracruz would be to go via Puebla. To get to Coatepec you can go to Zaragoza and then get ADO buses (with 2 further changes) to Coatepec via Teziutlan and Xalapa.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Thanks for the quick reply, SteveMex!

Sapa, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

anybody stayed here? any specifics on accommodations?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

Sunday is market Day and is a must do if you are in the area ,possibly the best people watching I have seen in Mexico.

Ruins ,waterfalls,caves,hikes......lots to do .Thorntree Mexico could give you lots of good advice about this area.

Buen viaje

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to and from Cuetzalan

"anybody stayed here?" @8

What are you asking? About staying overnight / for a period of time someplace in Cuetzalan?

I've stayed in Cuetzalan, at "La Casa de Piedra" - a renovated coffee warehouse.

Personally, I think the "best" time to visit is at the beginning of October - when "La Feria del Huipil y Café en Cuetzalan" is underway. You can search the internet and find a lot of information/photos of Cuetzalan.

For a long time now I've suggested that if someone wants to enjoy an experience in Mexico similar to how the city of Oaxaca may have been 25-30 years ago before it became so heavily touristed - go to Cuetzalan.

If you have the opportunity to visit Cuetzalan, and it's convenient to do so ... I highly recommend it.

Edited: 21 April 2016, 14:37
Reply to: Getting to and from Cuetzalan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cuetzalan del Progreso