We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

Hey,

Flying into Tokyo Narita next week (7pm) and as we are on a tight budget we are planning on staying up all night and heading to Tsukiji Fish Market early in the morning. I have read recent reports of people arriving at 4am and being near the back of the queue, so figure it's not worth paying for a hotel and finding something to do in the area instead.

Does anyone have a recommendation of places to go to pass the time until 3am? Not massively interested in clubbing so looking for some alternatives. Manga cafe near the Market?

We're intending to leave our bags in lockers at one of the main stations so we don't have to worry about carry a heavy load around.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

What some people do is clubbing or bar hopping in Roppongi til early morning and getting down to Tsukiji for early breakfast. If you plan to stay up all night, you can enjoy Tokyo night life at the same time. If not for fun, you can opt to spend some time at manga cafes in the same area.

Alternatively you can stay around Ginza or Yurakucho areas, which are closer to Tsukiji than Roppongi.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,327 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

What most decent people would do, I assume, is spend the evening in an izakaya open until morning or family restaurant open 24 hours around Ginza or Tsukiji itself and head over to Tsukiji.

Last week I spent overnight with a book to read over the all-you-can-drink bar at Jonathan's family restaurant next to JR Yurakucho Station near Ginza. Going over to Tsukiji came into my mind, but I changed my mind and went to Sushizanmai in Shimbashi nearby open 24 hours instead.

There is Jonathan's (with Drinks Bar) and Denny's (with free re-fill of coffee) family restaurants in Tsukiji.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 14:09
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,327 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

These are 24 hours open:

Jonathan's Tsukiji: ジョナサン 築地店 〒104-0045 東京都中央区築地4丁目8−4

Jonathan's Yurakucho: ジョナサン 有楽町店 東京都千代田区有楽町2丁目3−5 ORE有楽町ビル

Denny's Higashi-Ginza: デニーズ 東銀座店 〒104-0061 東京都中央区銀座6丁目16−12 丸高ビル 1F

Denny's Tsukiji: デニーズ 築地店 〒104-0045 東京都中央区築地3丁目4−12

McDonarld's Ginza I-Tower (open 24 hours): マクドナルド 銀座アイタワー店 〒104-0061 東京都中央区銀座2−9−4

Shopping around the clock: Don Quijote store Ginza: ドン・キホーテ銀座本館 〒104-0061 東京都中央区銀座8丁目10 銀座ナイン3号館

Edited: 01 May 2014, 14:22
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

There's not much to do right next to Tsukiji, but karaoke in Shibuya or Shinjuku until 3am is a great option.

More on Shibuya: http://www.blaineanderin.com/shibuya/

We arrived at Tsukiji right at 4am and our group of 6 were the last people let in for the day. They let in 120 people each morning. We really enjoyed it!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,365 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

Keep in mind, though, if you stay in Shibuya or Shinjuku, you'll have to spend 3,000+yen for a taxi to Tsukiji. I like the idea of eat/drink at nearby Izakaya until late and kill time in Denny's, Jonathan's or McD.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

Thank you so much for all the really helpful advice! I think we'll head straight to an Izakaya and try and keep our eyes open - if that fails then find a manga café for a few hours shut eye! The sound of free refill coffee and Denny's is pretty enticing too! Thanks again everyone.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

Call me an old fart, but trying to stay up all night after a long flight doesn't sound pleasant at all. At the very least scope out a manga cafe in advance so you don't waste precious time.

8. Re: Staying up all night for Tsukiji Fish Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Chuo