We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

My Japanese citizen brother and me would like to meet and catch up inside the Haneda Airport during my 4 hour layover. I am US Permanent resident, would someone be of knowing how it is possible? Either me would meet my brother at the arrivals and eat within the outskirts of the airport or my brother would have no problem having access to restaurants within Haneda airport to meet with me and have breakfast together.

Thank you and I appreciate someone who knows to answer this question.

8 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

You'd have to exit into the unrestricted area, where many of the restaurants are. Are you connecting to a domestic or international flight? If domestic, you should have plenty of time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,233 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Have your brother meet you at the arrival hall, just as you would if you are picking him up from an international flight arrival. US passport holders can stay in Japan as visitors for the short term without visas.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Thank you, unfortunately I am a US Permanent resident and I still hold a Philippine passport. I am taking a vacation to the Phils and on the way I have a 4 hour layover at Haneda Airport connecting to final destination Manila Phils. My brother is a Japanese citizen and we want to meet during my 4 hour layover. I would like to know if my Japanese citizen brother can meet me inside Haneda and if we could dine in together at one of the restaurants inside the airport.

Thank you , I really appreciate it!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,233 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Your brother cannot go airside (past security) if he doesn't hold a valid plane ticket.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Can I go meet him where he's at in the airport showing my valid connecting flight and valid US resident ID?

Edited: 31 March 2014, 17:26
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,233 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

The only way you can go landside (unrestricted area) is to go through immigration. That means you will have to get a valid visa that allows you to enter Japan using your Philippine passport. A US Green Card is not valid for travel except to Canada.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind clarification.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover

Were you able to meet your brother? How?

Reply to: Access inside Haneda Intl Airport to meet me during layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted