We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

Sunnyvale...
3 posts
Save Topic
5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

I'm stopping over in Tokyo for five days during the New Year time and was wondering what we should do (I'll be with 2 other people). We'll be staying in Shibuya between 12/30-1/5.

I've read a lot that a lot of places will be closed due to the new year, but was wondering if Shibuya will be completely closed too.

I'm thinking we do a Mt Fuji tour on one of the days and DisneySea another day (given these 2 are open during the time we are there). Do you have any other suggestions on things to do during that time given that it's the new year?

Also, what will the weather be like - what should I expect to pack?

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

End of December will be cold in Tokyo. Expect temperatures or about 0-15 deg celcius.

As you mentioned, most malls and shops close early (6pm) on 31 Dec and closed completely on 1 January. You can do either Disney Sea or go to an onsen in Hakone. Another option is to join the crowd in Kamakura.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

Visiting shrines with millions of other Japanese people is the thing to do for New Year's Eve and Jan 1st. I love New Years in Japan, completely different to 'the west'.

Department stores open again Jan 2nd. Though check museums etc, they will stay closed til about 4th...

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

I was in Shibuya two years ago during Hatsumode. Crowds thinned out definitely but some shops stayed open.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

Recent relevant threads, you will get more information from these:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6683…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6590…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6625…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6587…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6531…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6725…

Also this might be informative:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

This may have been mentioned in one of Kay-em1's links, but the tours to Mt. Fuji may not be running. You can very easily visit Hakone on your own, but I have no idea how crowded it will be

6. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:54
7. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 19:05
8. Re: 5 days (including new years in Tokyo) - what to do?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:20