We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

Hello everybody !

How are you all? Haven't been here for quite awhile. Time flies, I am visiting Tokyo again at the end of next February. This time we are staying at the Kadoya in Nishi Shinjuku. I am looking for a Walmart type store (eg. Seiyu) in the Shinjuku area or near Shinjuku. Can anyone recommend one. Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,243 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

I am not sure whether it's the closest one, but just a few stops away (15 minutes on JR) at Kichijoji, there is a Seiyu, Yodobashi, department stores, small cafes and independent shops. It's a nice area to hang out for 1/2 day or so.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

The Seiyu in Shinjuku Ward is next to Takadanobaba Station on the Yamanote Line (2 stops north). Though I think this one maybe mainly a food supermarket type shop of Seiyu.

There's also a Seiyu across from Sunshine City complex in Ikebukuro.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for but if you are looking for a shop that sells pretty much everything and anything like walmart (plus more) then I recommend Donquiote (Donki for short), many locations throughout Tokyo.

2 near Shinjuku. One near Kabukicho, though this one is often crammed pack, another one near ShinOkubo Station.

(Kabukicho location)

www.donki.com/c/shop/shop_en.php…

(Larger store I often go to, since it is the only one that has ROOT BEER!)

www.donki.com/c/shop/shop_en.php…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quijote_%28store%29

Edited: 22 December 2009, 06:35
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

Thanks for the info!

Tokyosubway ~ I am actually looking for one that sells stuffs like fruits, veggies and sodas. I should say supermarket instead. I know I can buy all these in those department stores basement level. But I know they cost more there. Last year we stayed in Akasaka and took the subway to the Seiyu in Ikebukuro. Does the Donki outside Kabukicho sell any fruits and veggies? We went there last year and it was indeed very cramped and narrow. Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,243 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

From memory, I don't think Donki sells fruits and veggies.

Personally, if I were to choose between a Seiyu at Ikebukuro and Kichijoji, I'd pick Kichijoji, unless you plan on going to Sunshine City. The Kichijoji location is quite large and sells just about everything. Also, the station and surrounding area are much more pleasant than navigating Ikebukuro.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

Hi Sammyfloyd ~ Thanks for the advice. May be we should check out the one in Kichijoji, the Seiyu by the East Ikebukuro station is kinda small.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

The Donki near Kabukicho has a very very small food area, the one near ShinOkubo is much larger, also it has a much larger selection of "foreign"import food items, I guess because the area is also a Korean neighborhood as well.

Enjoy some Korean food when you go there,many good Korean restaurants in that neighborhood. Also nice to walk around to see a distinct area of Tokyo not often listed in the guide-books.

Depending on what Sodas you are looking for, the Donki near ShinOkubo is the only place I can find RootBeer, Cherry Coke and 7up. Though my friend tells me of another place in Roppongi that has RootBeer as well. Though as a short term visitor those drinks might not be all too important for you lol. Long term folks love it.

Edited: 23 December 2009, 09:55
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

Tokyosubway ~ Thanks for the info. Will definitely check out the Korean district. Is it just by the station? I like root beer but only Barq's. We are staying for 11 days this time, I can go without it. I am crossing my fingers it won't snow while we are there. ;)

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

It rarely snows in Tokyo, and when it does it hardly ever sticks.

9. Re: Closest Seiyu to Shinjuku?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Shinjuku