We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Can someone give us some tips on locating the West Exit at Shinjuku Station? Is there a map of the station or something? Also is there an underground route to Keio Plaza or should we try to walk there at ground level? Have read previous posts and the station layout and crowds sounds daunting!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

From where are you going to the west exit? If you are just coming within the station, there are signs (in English) that point you in that direction.

I believe it's actually easier to walk on the street than going through the underground. Once you get out of the west exit, keep walking west on the road and Keio Plaza will be on your left in 5 to 7 minutes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Thanks for quick reply. We need to get to Shinjuku from Kyoto and then to Keio Plaza Hotel. So long as the West Exit is signposted in English, I guess we should be able to find our way out of the station...someone posted that it took them 1/2 hour to find the West exit when they first got to Shinjuku station...will be arriving before 4-00pm to avoid peak rush hour....

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
870 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

The west exit of Shinjuku Station has two levels; there is a passage that runs directly from the lower level of this exit past the Keio Plaza lower ground level. A moving walkway operates at peak times for much of the distance. For simple trips it's the easiest access between the trains and the hotel;

See japaneselifestyle.com.au/tokyo/shinjuku_map.…

and zoom in;

Directions on the lower concourse are reasonably well signed; you need to bear left coming out of the station.

It is not not the main entrance level for the hotel - stairs are involved and this makes toting large bags this way interesting. If you're loaded down a taxi from the south gate will be best.

I found the surface route, past the Shinjuku Post Office, confusing, with shops forming a barrier between the actual station and the hotel and limited signage.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Here's the hotel's Japanese-language access map. Might make it easier when asking directions: www.keioplaza.co.jp/access/pdf/area.pdf

For what it's worth, here's the map of Shinjuku station jreast.co.jp/e/stations/img/map_e/e866.pdf but it doesn't begin to show the complexity of the whole station complex.

But just follow Sammyfloyd's advice and you will be fine. The exit signs are all in yellow. Here is a sample http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23999763

The Shinkansen stops at both Shinagawa and Tokyo stations. Shinagawa is much less confusing. From there, take the Yamanote line to Shinjuku.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

As mentioned, follow the signs for West Exit, then follow signs for Tokyo City Hall, all bilingual. I have many colleagues who stayed at the Hyatt across the street for 6 months or more and still get lost trying to navigate the station's passage way. So getting lost in there is expected.

You should use the "underground" passage way. I am pretty sure you can summon the hotel staff for your luggage once you've reach the hotel lower level entrance. There is no tipping required anyway.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Just returned from Japan trip, stayed at the Keio Plaza because part of a package for 2 nights. I have to say, although it's my third time stay there, I STILL HATE this hotel's location. It's FAR in my opinion from the shinjuku station, especially after a long day out there, at the end of each day, just thinking about walking that LONG passageway from West Exit was already giving me headache.

I think and agree walking above, at street level is easier.

It took us 30 minutes underground trying to get from Keio Plaza to a restaurant that was supposed to be only 5 minutes away!

What my friends did, they just took a taxi to Keio plaza from Shinjuku JR station at night. Didn't even bother trying to navigate.

By the time we left, we figured out the whole area, but still, it's far to walk to in my opinion.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

I timed this walk the other day, exiting Shinjuku Station west exit (my stop watch started), I walked at a normal pace (trying to simulate if I was pulling a carry on bag) and walking with the flow of people, the total time it took me was 12minutes 34 seconds from the West Exit ( can certainly do it a lot faster, but this was a simulation of sorts), turning slightly to the left, going through the underground "tunnel" , I did not use the moving walkways (since they shutdown), and exited right in front of one of the exits to Tochomae, the Keio Plaza is right on the right.

Pretty much follow to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Measuring on the map, the hotel is only 500 or so meters away.

It is my opinion that it can take "longer" if you go the surface route, as from the west exit, you have to go "upstairs" one floor, then when you exit out of that Exit you are at the Keio Department store entrance, you have to move left going along side the keio department store to where the Limousine Bus stands are, wait at that intersection, and cross the street towards the Yodobashi Camera and bus terminal. Anycase you are meeting more street traffic and pedestrians going the surface route (in my opinion).

Edited: 12 July 2010, 20:19
tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Sorry meant to say the Keio Plaza is right on the "left".

Any case, as long as you follow the signs to the WEST EXIT of JR Shinjuku Station, and follow the black/orange colored signs (written in Japanese and English) to Tokyo City Hall/Metropolitan Government Buildings/Skyscraper District once you exit that underground passage you are right near the base of the Keio Plaza on the left.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

Thank you everyone for all the feedback...feel a lot more confident with all the info!

10. Re: Locating West Exit at Shinjuku Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:15