We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel with a baby in Japan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
travel with a baby in Japan

We just came back from an 11 day trip in Tokyo and Kyoto with our 11 months old baby girl. I read many different forums and websites to be as ready as possible for this trip so I thought I would share our experience. We travel a fair bit but it was our first hotel only holidays since baby arrival. First pram or no pram? No hesitation here, our pram was a godsend! We could go almost everywhere with it and baby had plenty of good naps protected from wind, rain and cold. We brought an ergo carrier but she slept much better in pram and easier on our back! We had to carry it a bit in metro and a few temples were out of reach, but I wouldn't change a thing. You have to be more patient and look for lifts in shops and stations. We didn't plan too much but left hotel around 10.30, back 7pm, and made sure she had a couple of kicks out the pram during the day. We took Shinkansen and made sure we got in first so we had the luggage space behind the last seats as there is little space for luggage in these trains.

we found baby food in pharmacy and baby shops, not in supermarket. I brought a lot of food as not fruit purees available. But found yogurts of course and savory dishes such as rice chicken veggie, etc... she enjoyed snacking on beautiful bread!

We stayed at the Citadines hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto and booked a cot, however, we had to stay one night in a hotel at the airport and the room was too small for a cot, so I booked a twin room, bigger rooms usually, and shared my bed!

Citadines have very handy kitchenette.

I hope this may help relaxany parent before their to Japan.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
134 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

thank you, we will be traveling this may with our almost 1 year old and our 2 years old.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

Thank you very much for this! I'm planning a trip with a baby and were wondering about some of these very things. Did you go to any day trips to places outside of major cities?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

We did go to Nikko but had a friend drive us, she had borrowed a child seat. I believe you can do a tour up there. However if you are going to Kyoyo, it is not necessary as it is "another" temple. From Kyoto, Nara is easy to reach by train, we would have done it if time had allowed us to.

safe travel!

Wilton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

Figured id give my 2 cents as well since we just left tokyo, traveling with a 9 month old. We stayed at the century southern and requested baby bed which they obliged. They said the baby had to be < 1 year old but I think babies a bit older would have been fine as well. We brought out convertible stroller + car seat, but if we had to do it over again, would have just brought and umbrella stroller that was much lighter. The stroller we had could be used w/o the car seat, but it was pretty heavy and a pita to lug around in the subway/etc. even during off hours the subway would have been too crowded to keep the baby in the stroller. Most places we went were very baby friendly though, especially the newer places. Almost all of them have baby changing rooms. We did a couple meals without our son (mother in law came with us), but the majority of meals we did together, including a 1* sushi lunch at the counter (recommended by MasterCard concierge as baby friendly, and it was. The chef even cut up a strawberry and gave it to us to feed our son and said his son likes strawberries). We brought our own high chair that you screwed into the table but that generally was unnecessary. I can provide suggestions for restaurants if anyone wants them.

In terms of day trips we just did hakone. I would NOT recommend bringing a stroller. Lots of stairs/you won't be able to see a lot of the stuff unless you want to carry the stroller a lot.

For food , we bought some at drug store but he has started eating solids so we bought a bunch of fruit/etc.

Wilton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

Oh yea, one thing I wish we had done differently is planned our flights better in terms of both arriving and departing so we could take the limo bus directly to/from the hotel instead of the shinjuku station west exit. We had multiple large suitcases + backpacks + stroller and it was a huge pain both there and back. The limo bus is awesome though, highly recommended vs the nex/other train options because they load/unload luggage and you generally don't need to go up/down stairs. We traveled off hours so didn't hit any traffic, but would have still been worthwhile if it had taken longer.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

Does the limo bus require you to bring a baby seat?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,194 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

>>>Does the limo bus require you to bring a baby seat?<<

No, it does not. If you hold your baby on your lap, s/he travels free. If s/he occupies a seat, you have to pay a 1/2 child fare, which comes to 1/4 of the adult fare.

8. Re: travel with a baby in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:16