We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

california
Level Contributor
806 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

Hello,

We are foodie lovers and don't want to miss eating at this place while in Tokyo. We are staying at Hyatt Regency and the hotel provides free shuttle to Shinjuku station; or it's also walking distance. I read on blogs that Piss Alley is very hard to find and can easily be missed.

Can someone please give us detailed directions, and landmarks, if any, to help us find it? Also, what time do eating stalls here open and close? Best time to go to avoid big crowds?

Thank you for your help.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
583 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

Did you look here?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1066457-d…

I can't remember how we got there but it wasn't difficult to find. My husband will give me directions for you later...

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3011.html

Omoide Yokocho

Restaurants: Typically from 17:00 to 24:00 (some are open for lunch)

Closed: Irregular closing days

Omoide Yokocho (lit. memory lane), also known under its more colorful nickname Piss Alley, is a small network of alleyways along the tracks northwest of Shinjuku Station. The narrow lanes are filled with dozens of tiny eateries serving ramen, soba, sushi, yakitori and kushiyaki. Many restaurants consist of just one counter with some chairs, while others have a couple of tables.

california
Level Contributor
806 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

Hi Hfot2,

Thank you for your reply and helpful links. The TA review link of the place, has mixed comments about finding the place: tricky, hard to find, easy to miss while others claimed easy to find, can' miss. So I will await directions from your husband, if you don't mind writing back.

Really grateful & appreciative of your help. Cheers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

This link provides directions from Shinjuku station. We plan on going tonight and will report back!

shinjuku-omoide.com/english/access/index.html

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

Use google map and search 思い出横丁. Don't expect high quality foods there and many stalls don't look too sanitary to me, either. I suppose it'll be a fun experience for a first timer, though.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
583 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

me: > I can't remember how we got there but it wasn't difficult to find. My husband will give me directions for you later...

youngatheart> So I will await directions from your husband, if you don't mind writing back.

Looks like you've got sufficient replies here already. If you'd like written directions he says he's happy to do so.

Omoide Yokocho was curious but not nearly as interesting as we had hoped for.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,189 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

I think fire destroyed parts of it. I think Ueno/Okachimachi's Ameyoko and Asakusa's Rokku Area (near Asakusa ROX building and Richmond Hotel) has similar small old izakayas serving yakitori etc and are probably a bit better regarding atmosphere and food served. Omoide Yokocho is not something special but a quintessential old yakitori bar alley which you can find nearly at all major train stations where workers have a drink and snack before going home.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 02:43
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,189 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

Also, I find that many workers at Omoide Yokocho have changed to foreign immigrant workers. Not that I have grudge against foreigners serving yakitori or immigrants working hard to cope with life, but it does feel less originally Japanese (those places had aged people who knew the old days who were thought provoking to chat with).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,678 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

I wouldn't say it's unsanitary, particularly when compared to places in many other countries. However, it's best just to walk through and sample for the atmosphere instead of quality. As Yobeekool said, such places can be found near stations at many places (Shimbashi which is Ginza, Namba at Osaka, etc).

Foreign immigrations/students work at many of such places and chain fast food restaurant these days. There are lots of Mandarin Chinese-speaking staff at ramen joints now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

Dumb question - where are the Japanese students working then?

10. Re: Best way/direction to find "Piss Alley or Memory Lane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2015, 21:42