We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
97 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

One of the Ryokan's on the Taito B&B list looks super cute but it appears it's in the Askasura (sorry on the spelling) area which looks kind of far from the sightseeing areas?

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
149 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

I stayed in Taito for my one week trip in Tokyo. Frankly speaking, travelling in the city is convenient if you dont mind taking train around. Taito is kinda far from Shibuya or Shinjuku, a train ride from Taito to Shibuya or Shinjuku might take more than 30min. As for Asakusa itself, one day is enough to tour the area, but it's near to Chuo area as well as Akihabara. So, it shud be fine for me.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

Which one is it? That might help. So long as you're near a station, location is really not that key.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

I stay in Taito when I'm in Tokyo. I like it because it's relatively quiet. As others have said, as long as you're near a train or subway station, it's a perfectly fine area to base yourself in.

Tokyo is so spread out that no place is especially better than another.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,381 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

Asakusa is good, but you should be careful about the actual location of the place. Some budget accommodation claiming to be in Asakusa might be in Senzoku 3-4 (aka Yoshiwara), which is an old red lights district (which is not a good environment and far away from the stations or Asakusa).

5. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 12:35
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

I stayed in Asakusa when I visited Tokyo, in a hotel convenient to Tawaramachi and Kuramae stations. This gave me access to 3 different subway lines which meant I could very easily get to all the things I wanted to see in Tokyo.

Asakusa itself has some interesting things to see (Senso-ji, Nakamise Dori and Kappabashi), it is very close to Ueno park and the museums, and I was able to travel directly to Tsukiji market, Shinjuku and Shibuya without changing trains. I was very satisfied with the area.

Yobeekool's advice is good - check that it is near stations.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

Everywhere within the Tokyo radius is convenient as the transportation in Japan is nothing but the very best so moving around is extremely hassleless

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

I'm with Yobeekool, it all depends where it is in Taito - there's Asakusa, but then there's Taito, there are definitely some places I wouldn't recommend. The immediate Asakusa area is fine.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

It depends on the rest of your itinerary.

If you will be going to places like Harajuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, Odaiba...etc...then Taito is abit out of the way. Plus you'd usually have to do train transfers.

Personally, for convenience sakes, I'd prefer to stay near stations along the JR Yamanote Loop line...like for example:

- Shinagawa (although not much in the area, but the station has access to quite a few different train lines, plus direct train access to Narita and Haneda Airport, plus access to Shinkansen)

- Shinjuku (has access to many train lines, lots of shopping and food in the area, although no Shinkansen, direct train access to Narita Airport, hotel rates might be higher than average though)

- Ueno (hotels would probably be older yet cheaper than those at Shinjuku and Shinagawa, access to Shinkansen, food and somewhat cheap shopping in the area)

- Ikebukura (although not as many train lines as Shinjuku and Shinagawa, but there's shopping in the area and accommodations here are not too pricey).

10. Re: Is Taito a good base for exploring Tokyo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2016, 12:18