We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Japan. We have heard good things about the Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa. However, it has no indoor pool, which I wanted and we also would like 'good' wi-fii, (gratis) This is essential, as we use it a lot on business.

Would welcome comments and suggestions.

Suzy

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

If it's essential, you might find another hotel. I think the Prince Hotel Group is one of those old groups which don't have wi-fi for free and in case of my previous stays some of their hotels still charged even on wired LAN.

There aren't so many hotels with indoor pools in central Tokyo. Tokyo has serious shortage of land and astronomical land prices which makes indoor pools economically not viable for hotels, whereas local people would prefer to use dedicated pools run by private companies and public institutions in Tokyo (or rather go outside Tokyo). I don't know whether Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku is worth the price, but it has an indoor pool upon payment (2,100 yen for guests). Sheraton Miyako in a bit inconvenient location (Shirogane-Takanawa) has a pool (1,600 yen for guests). But if you don't mind staying at a 4-5 star hotel, perhaps transportation isn't a big issue- you can always take a short taxi ride to a train station. I am not familiar with 4-5 stars institutions in Tokyo, so perhaps other people can help you out.

An idea is to buy and bring a wi-fi rooter to connect to LAN socket which shouldn't be so expensive (most hotels provide reliable wired LAN instead of unreliable wi-fi, so bring a laptop if you can), or give up on the idea of indoor pools at a hotel in central Tokyo (there are hotels with spa facilities, like Hotel Nikko in Odaiba which are more popular among guests, I think).

Edited: 17 September 2012, 02:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

Thanks so much for reading my post and responding. Having never been to Japan before, I'm not sure what to expect..but really looking forward to it..pool or no pool. :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

The hotel is straight across from Shinagawa station Takanawa exit (and up a small, small hill beside Goos and Sakura tower.

They have a really nice Japanese garden and a temple style bell that sounds at 8am and 5pm daily. The teppanyaki steak house there (Katsura) is sensational with a good winelist as well. If your husband enjoys cigards they have a good cigar bar as well called Le Connaisseur.

If you really need to visit an indoor pool ask the bell team about the Minato Ward gymnasium just next to Tamachi station just 3 minutes by train. They have a reasonably priced indoor pool.

As Yobeekool noted prices for pools are very high generally due to land prices and are outsourced so still expensive even for hotel guests.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

The Takanawa Prince has "internet connection available", which likely means a lan cable in the room. I use an Airport Express connector and it works just fine.

You might consider the newly renovated Palace Hotel.

http://www.palacehoteltokyo.com/en/

They have a swimming pool, wifi service is free.

I have stayed at the Palace Hotel many times before the renovation, and will be going back there this coming April. So I can't speak about the "new" hotel from experience, but I'm sure it will be the same amazing service, and the new facility looks lovely. Try to get one of the special promotion rates.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,786 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

If you want an indoor pool and free wifi, you'll have to stay at a 4-5* hotel. The Capitol Hotel Tokyu is less expensive than most 5* hotels such as the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental but still an excellent hotel:

www.capitolhoteltokyu.com/en/index.html

It's 4 years new and the pool use is free (many Japanese hotels charge a fee to their staying guests.)

6. Re: the grand prince hotel takanawa , is it near shinagawa??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:15