We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
what to do?

I am flying into Tokyo to visit my Son who lives in Hokkaido. We plan to meet at Narita after customs at 3pm. Our hotel is near Shinagawa station as we are taking the train to Kyoto the next morning.

It is the day of the Sumida River fireworks festival and hoped to hire yakata bune to see the fireworks...silly me, I think you need to book that a year out. Please let me know if you think this might still be an option. It's hard to find anything from home except one tour (which would be fine if it didn't leave at 2:30).

So, if we can't watch fireworks on a booze-cruse, I'm working on an alternate plan.

Was thinking Roppongi. I read that there are a lot of fun restaurants have dinner and drinks and generally just relax and have fun. Not looking to stay up all night and get drunk but not too dull.

1- I'm confused to the location- Roppongi v/s Roppongi-Hills. Which is the area that we should head to? Is there a specific street or block?

2- What are some good venues?

Or would you suggest something totally different? I know that we will be pretty jet-lagged so I don't expect to be able to handle too much.

Thanks for reading such a long post....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do?

The main part of Roppongi is best avoided. Roppongi Hills and Roppongi Midtown, both on the outer edges of Roppongi, are nice but considered a bit sterile by some.

Everyone deals with jet lag differently. Even if exhausted, I'd walk around a bit just to stay up until 9 or 10pm or so. A nice sit down dinner might be a drag.

To me, my preference would be to go to Shibuya or Shinjuku, walk around a bit, and eat something light. If you are not spending more time in Tokyo I'd definitely prioritize those places.

2. Re: what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 14:19