We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches

Dublin
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beaches

Hi there - we are looking for a beach resort near to Arles for Day trips during a visit to Provence - what are the beaches at Fos Sur Mer like?

4 replies to this topic
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches

Fos is a major oil refinerary - not exactly pretty.

From Arles head to the fantastic Camargue beaches - google Grau du Roy and Sts Marie de la Mer for details.

Our favorite is the Plage des Espigette at Grau du Roy - has patrolled car parks and beach bars in high season.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches

Fos does have one of the few "blue flag" beaches in this area (i.e. one which meets certain environmental standards) -- though I agree the setting isn't as lovely as one might like. Here's a list of the 2011 blue flag beaches in France FYI. http://bit.ly/l1zO9u

Some of the Blue Coast beaches (between Fos and Marseille) are really nice, though further than the Camargue, if you wanted to try somewhere different. http://bit.ly/mkvf94

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,079 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches

Espiguette is lovely. Other than that, we walked from Carry Le Rouet to La Couronne this week; parked at the former, picked up the train back. It's a beautiful coastline, with interesting little coves and clear blue water. It was my first visit there, and I'll happily return. We ate well at a beachside restaurant; the fish and shellfish were delicious!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches

There are some lovely spots on the Blue Coast and the walks are quite easy west of Carry. My favourite is Sainte Croix, which is overlooked by a romantic 17th century chapel perched on a hill. Carro is nice too - it's a pretty working fishing port.

Reply to: Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fos-Sur-Mer
Recent Conversations