We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries in Laguardia area

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
85 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries in Laguardia area

Hola,

My husband and I will be in staying in Laguardia May 12-15. I have tickets for the wine museum on May 15 in the AM. Any advice that you can give me on how best to see the wineries in the short time we have will be appreciated. We are happy going to one a day. I've tried getting reservations fo rtours but it seems that all have tours at the same time and are booked. Do any do tours/tastings in the afternoons?

Gracias, Maria

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries in Laguardia area

First of all I'd download maribels guides as they are the best guides I've seen for this area.

maribelsguides.com

When you say you have tickets for the wine museum do you mean Dinastia Vivanco in Briones? Or the Centro Tematico del Vino in Laguardia? Hopefully the tickets you have are for Dinastia Vivanco - it's a must see.

Using Maribels' guides I'd start emailing the bodegas that seem most interesting to you. With less than 2 weeks before your visit you may have trouble finding an opening so I'd email several. You'll find that a few have afternoon visits but most just offer 1-2 morning visits.

I'd definately visit one of the 2 underground "cave" bodegas in Laguardia just for the experience and also since you'll staying there. They offer more frequent tours than the "biggies". If you have tickets for the wine museum in Briones you may want to combine it with a visit to a bodega in Haro as it's nearby. Haro has several located in a small area so it's probably also a good bet you'll have luck getting reservations at 1-2 of them at least.

Baigorri is one of my favorites simply because of the architecture and the modern facilities - a big contrast to some of the old techniques. They also offer a vist that includes a lunch - a great option especially on a pretty day as you'll lunch in a restaurant overlooking the vineyards, beautiful!

Ysios, Vina Real and Heredad Ugarde are near Laguardia and another easy visit.

This should get you started - but all of this is detailed in maribels guides!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
85 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries in Laguardia area

Thanks. I already have Maribel's guide and have read it through. The problem I'm having is taht I don't have a detailed enough map to show me how close or far away all the little towns are. The tickets we have are for the museum in Briones. I have contacted Ysios, Heredia and both are unavailabe for "private functions." I've also contacted smaller wineries but have not heard back yet. Will keep you posted.

Another question, it seems most, i fnot all restaurants are closed on sunday and monday in Laguardia. Suggestions as to where we can eat. It doesn't have to be big or fancy. We get into Laguardia at about 2 pm. Thans again.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries in Laguardia area

You should be able to get a food idea of distances by using google maps. Don't worry about restaurant closures on sunday/Monday. Laguardia is used to tourists and you won't go hungry. Not every restaurant is open but the hotel restaurants will have food. Also don't miss a trip to logrono for a tapas crawl.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
85 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries in Laguardia area

Success! Thanks for all your help. I have been able to secure and confirm tours at Ysios, Lopez de Heredia, San Pedro de Vina Spre (with tunnel tour) and CVNE. We have tickets for museum in Briones and plan to head to San Vicente de Sonsierra afterwards for late afternoon tastings. Cheers!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries in Laguardia area

Excellent!

Lopez de Heredia is my favorite in Haro, and one of my favorites in La Rioja. I assume you mean CVNE in Haro - it's nearby. Ysios is more modern so will make a good contrast. And the cave bodega in Laguardia is unique (although I didn't care much for the wine). You'll have a busy but fun 3 days.

If you want to relax in the evening you could try to spa at the Hotel Villa de Laguardia - it's quite reasonable. The spa circuit is nice and the treatments are very good.

6. Re: Wineries in Laguardia area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Laguardia