We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gambela National Park: An Adventure back of Back of Beyond

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
407 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
Gambela National Park: An Adventure back of Back of Beyond

Two of us visited the Gambella National Park in April, 2016. . Our trip was set up as part of a 12 day trip to southwestern Ethiopia by Birhanu Mesele of New Ethiopia Tours (newlooktours@gmail.com). Superb Birhanu was our guide and the excellent Alex Girma was our driver. An additional guide/guard is required by the Park. He and his gun joined us.

The Park is a long way from most tourist treks in Ethiopia. It’s a few days’ direct journey to get to the town of Gambella from Addis (we detoured to camp for an additional two days in Kibish and Tum, among the Surma people), then another four hours from there to the Park. When we registered at the park entrance they told us we were the first visitors in six months, and we certainly did not see any signs of anyone else other than some workers on the road. In April the annual migration of the White-eared Kob is the draw. Second in scale only to the wildebeest migration in Masai Mara,. it is an immense movement of a million animals across a flat, barren landscape. This is not the wildlife rich savannah of Kenya and Tanzania. There are few if any lions or elephants or giraffes. There are the Kob if you’re there at the right season (we were), and many, many birds, most memorably an immense flock of Black, Crowned Cranes dancing in the heat. We did pass a caravan of nomadic Falatti people, their long-horned cattle looming large in the dust, on their way to South Sudan farther west.

It was a hot, dusty, bone-rattling trip, and it was wonderful to be where few people, other than nomads, go.

2 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gambela National Park: An Adventure back of Back of Beyond

Thank you. This is the first report of a visit to G N P I have read.

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
407 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gambela National Park: An Adventure back of Back of Beyond

I started this message, then it disappeared, so if this is a duplicate, forgive me. We took 12 days for the trip, with nignts in (among others) Mizan Tefari, Tum, and Kibish. The latter two were stupendous experiences. We camped in both, washing in the river at Kibish, and would have spent a few more days, but the rains came and our driver suggested we exit Kibish before the undeveloped roads--which cross many small streambeds--- got washed out. As it was, even after a few hours of downpour, they had swelled, and we forded some pretty aggressive looking streams with aspirations for something much bigger and deeper. The market in Tum is Ethiopia's tribal people at their best, 'un-touristified' (if there is such a word). If you would like I canm private message you some of my daily 'blabs' about that part of the trip.

Reply to: Gambela National Park: An Adventure back of Back of Beyond
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gambela