We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogon villages

radovljica
12 posts
Save Topic
Dogon villages

I'm booked for Dogon country, but still haven't decided, which villages to visit.

Any suggestions for 4 days trip?

On third day I'm booked for Tereli mask dance.

Greetings from Slovenia.

7 replies to this topic
new jersey, usa
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogon villages

You are so lucky to be going to Dogon Country, I spent Christmas's week there with my daughter and I had the most fabulous time. The scenery is gorgeous, mother Nature at its best, The Cliff, the blue sky, the quaint villages with their funny looking Granery, the nicest, most hospitable people, we stopped in ENDE, TELI, INDELOU, and INDELOU remains our favorite even thought it is not really the most equipped for comfort, I slept under a mosquito net on a mattress on the dirt floor of a room made out of mud , no bathroom but a hole behind a stone wall down below but that's also where I saw the most beautiful sunset and sunrise and nobody will know that feeling unless they experience it themselves. And our guide was FABULOUS : his name is SIBIRI and you can find him by asking around once you get to Bandiagara, everyone knows him, he is simply the most charming, knowledgeable young man to take you on this Tour, he knows every rock, each tree, he recommanded where to stop at night, charming lodges where you have the choice to sleep in a room or on the roof, which we did and loved, but I got cold around 3am and went downstairs back to a room to finish the night (chez ALLIE)

SIBIRI got us to ride horses one day, to go on an ox-cart on another day, we walked some time and hiked too and I enjoyed it a lot, he always held my hand to make sure I was stable on my feet and he knew everyone we met on the way and we were greeted everywhere with smiles and locals salutations. Just delighful.

Edited: 09 February 2011, 20:39
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogon villages

As a former Peace Corps volunteer in Mali, I am SO happy to read experiences like this. I loved Mali, and think of it as a second home now, and find that experiences like yours are not at all uncommon. Malians are wonderful, and it sounds like you were really open to experiencing the country in the best way, without expecting to live in absolute comfort the entire time.

I lived down in Sikasso, but I also trekked through Dogon for a few days, and found it too be a place which makes a lasting difference in how you look at the world we live in. Absolutely breathtaking.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogon villages

how is this village for solo female traveler!!!

new jersey, usa
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogon villages

absolutly, you will find the nicest people ever, generous even if they have very little, and stop in Bandiagara to hire a local tour guide, this way you will get the best experience, you will feel safe, go to the places not to be missed, and its totally affordable! and you will be helping the local economy, which suffered a great deal thrue the last couple of years.

Bandiagara is the best place to establish a base and from there ou can tour around and stay at little inns with your tour guide.

new jersey, usa
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogon villages

my daughter Deborah was also with PC, that's why I went and had an awsome trip, thanks to her and Sibiri

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogon villages

ok thank you I will do it by myself

Bamako, Bamako, Mali
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dogon villages

Hello,

Hogon tours is a travel agency in Mali and can help you to organiaze this trip in dogon country.

www.hogontours.net

00223 66 00 72 80

seydou

Reply to: Dogon villages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bandiagara
Recent Conversations