We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing own lunch to balicasag?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
bringing own lunch to balicasag?

Would there be any problem with bringing our own lunch to balicasag island? We don't want to purchase lunch from the vendors there. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,069 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing own lunch to balicasag?

The only seating is typically owned by families who provide lunch for a minimal cost or the sole accommodation (which is government owned) on Balicasag Island.

It is up to you, but why not support the island families? This helps to keep them on side and not destroying the reefs with (heaven forbid) cyanide or dynamite fishing.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,344 posts
1,910 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing own lunch to balicasag?

Ive used the recommended Bohol Travel Buddy for this trip:

boholtravelbuddy.com/btbmain/dolphin-watchin…

It was a few years ago but I believe lunch is included. Perhaps others can clarify.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing own lunch to balicasag?

@ Cazz

There are not many vendors in Balicasag island - there are just fisher folk who live on the island, and jsut one resort with a solitary restaurant run by the government. Costs are not high (nearly the same as what you would pay in Alona beach, from where, I presume, you plan to bring your food). One good thing - the fisher folk tend to be "uncheaterlike" (unlike the pesky vendors common to other tourist spots) - perhaps due to the fact that they tend to be isolated from so called civilisation.

In fact, I remember, when I had stayed overnight at Balicasag, and walked next morning to the fishing village and beach on the other side, the people there seemed happy to just talk to me - and were not the least interested in trying to sell anything.

Having said that, and to answer your question, YES - you can bring your own lunch (I assume, from Bohol).

PS - If you plan to have sea food, though, I do suggest you have it at Balicasag, as it is usually the catch of the morning! And yes - you can have exotic stuff like parrot fish :) (an admission - it tastes much the same as any other fish. Much better to see it when it is alive!)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing own lunch to balicasag?

Thanks everyone. Landed up just taking a snack. Reason for not wanting to eat on the island is that I'm vegan, but definitely agree with supporting the locals.

Reply to: bringing own lunch to balicasag?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Balicasag Island