We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haputale to Colombo by Train

Which Haputale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
327 reviews
Save Topic
Haputale to Colombo by Train

Wish to explore Kandy and then take the train to Haputale to go through Pattipola Station (the highest station in the world with the broad gauge track), through Horton Plains and Great Western.

When returning to Colombo from Haputale, what is the best route? From what I gather, it seems like I would have to go back to Kandy to get to Col? Leave Haputale at 07:45am and arrive in Col at 15:27pm (8 hours). Its a long ride, and would appreciate an alternate route (if any), via rail. Or should I forget the train back and take a bus (maybe take 4 hours)?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,282 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haputale to Colombo by Train

Hi there,

If you look at the railway map, as expected there's not much alternatives! Three direct trains per day Haputale-Colombo, out of which two also attend Kandy and one solely attends Peradeniya. Indeed this takes quite some time.

Bus in this case is shorter, bus 99 takes about 5 hours; did 2 hours to Pelmadulla from Haputale this spring and Pelmadulla-Colombo should be about 3 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haputale to Colombo by Train

Thanks Erik. Bus 99 goes all the way from Haputale to Colombo? Or do I need to change buses at Pelmadulla? Is this a luxury bus? Will be taking quite a huge back pack and wondering how to fit it in!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,282 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haputale to Colombo by Train

Hi again,

Bus 99 is Badulla-Colombo hence yes no need to change. The line has mostly non-AC buses and probably a few AC ones but for luggage the latter as you're probably aware is not always an advantage; generally less luggage space _but_ if you pay for an extra seat you're done.

The 99 buses tend to wait for more passengers near Haputale bus stand, so I guess getting a seat and even some space for the backpack in a non-AC bus is not the biggest of problems.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Sorry for confusion, I left at Pelmadulla because my destination was Embilipitiya

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haputale to Colombo by Train

No problem....thank you for the advise. Yes, I thought buying an extra seat would sort me out! Have you been to Ohitya/ Haputale from Kandy? Is the scenery spectacular? I have only been to Badulla from Haputale recently.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,282 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haputale to Colombo by Train

Hi there,

Yes rode the train Kandy-Haputale. The Nanu Oya to Haputale part is almost as good as Haputale-Badulla, at least when it's blue sky which is not guaranteed esp. in afternoons.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Haputale to Colombo by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:19