We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Hi I have found a great cottage in Sandsend near Whitby

Does anyone know if it's a good place for a holiday with children or would we be better in Robin hoods bay

Sandsend looks like it has nothing apart from some houses so wondering if it's too isolated and quiet

Advice gratefully received

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,595 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

There's a sandy beach (hence the name), which is more than RHB has. RHB has very steep streets and lots of little shops. Is that what kids want?

What do your children like doing on holiday? There are lots of buses into Whitby for the bright lights.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Hi and thanks for replying

Kids love the beach and sea and mum likes little shops

Sandsend sounds nice but seems we would need the car as it has nothing apart from a beach

Can we walk to anywhere?

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,595 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Depends how much you like walking. You can walk to Whitby or Runswick Bay. See the Cleveland Way which runs along the coast. Get the bus back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Robin Hoods Bay wins for me - use to go there for holidays when I was young and found plenty to do. Great fun exploring the streets, alleys, rock pools etc on the beach. You can walk to Whitby from RHB as well.+ walk to Ravenscar etc olong the old railway.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

when our kids were small sandsend was their favourite place, it has a river that is safe to paddle in and float dinghies and ducks to feed.

there is a pub, a few shops and a couple of cafes - not a lot to do but its nice and level and an easy push with a pram. you can walk into whitby if you're feeling energetic.

robinhoods bay is lovely but its very steep (you have to leave the car at the top) and there isn't a sandy beach

hope this helps

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,595 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Actually, I think you might be better off in Whitby itself, or even Scarborough - two huge beaches; tons of shops and loads of entertainment for kids.

Easy enough to visit RHB or Ravenscar on bus for day trip

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

We've just come back from Filey which is perfect for small children. It has a fabulous sandy beach,paddling pool,small funfair for little ones but also shops and cafes for adults.It has a village feel and none of the commercial big seaside town that Scrborough has

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

Sandsend would be my choice.

I love it there.

It isn't the place for shopping but has a great beach and is very popular with holidaymakers.

Just get the bus to Whitby for the shops, pubs and restaurants. It isn't far.

Robin Hoods Bay I would totally discount.

Some people rave about it and I have never worked out why. With a youngster and a steep cobbled hill it really is a non starter.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

They are both fairly quiet places, though as mentioned by others Sandsend isn't that far from Whitby - you can walk there in an hour and there are buses, whilst Robin Hoods Bay is a bit further away. I would think you would struggle to find much entertainment for small children in either other than playing on the beach so I'd look to go for days out to Whitby and Scarborough.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 10:18
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay

I adored RHB as a child; loved fossil hunting on the beach and wandering the cobbled streets. Whitby also great for little people, though.

Reply to: Sandsend or Robin Hoods bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandsend
Recent Conversations