We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Which Orient Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Hi, I am going to St martin in April. I cannot decide we should stay at Grand Case or Orient bay. Last time I went I stayed in Grand case . I felt like I was in aSmall unpretentious seaside town in France. I loved it. I just visited Orient bay for a day. but it was 1992...

we do not like to busy or touristy. we want to be right on the beach, beautiful water, nice small places to eat....

Is Orient bay too touristy and busy?

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Based on what you say in your post, I think the choice is obvious... Grand Case. I wasn't there in 1992, but since 2002, it still has the small town feel, with (most likely) the same small amazing French restaurants. Whereas in Orient one can feel overwhelmed with tourists, Grand Case feels desolate and relaxed. We recently had a villa in Orient, but after going to both beaches virtually every other day, I was strongly favoring Grand Case in the end. It's good you know what your looking for because some people shy away from Grand Case due to the dilapidation of some of the buildings but as I described previously, that just ensures that a Hilton doesn't move in and ruin everything.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Grand Case is a poorly lit, pothole-ridden shanty town. I have never seen anything similar in France.

The place is very unsafe.

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Left_at - just curious, do you have any factual data to back up your assertion that Grand Case is unsafe? Such as newspaper reports on crime or other hard statistical data, or even rumors of illicit happenings? Under your current logic my backyard is unsafe because it's poorly lit... the reason I question you is because I think you mean you "felt" unsafe.

If you look at crime reports, which are maintained in accordance with local law, you'll see that it is extremely low. There are 3 layers of physical human security in Grand Case: (a) the Gendarmarie, which is the main police force comprised generally of police trained in France and which spend rotations on the island (b) Municipal police and (c) security guards. It felt to me that there were more police in Grand Case than I see in nyc on a per person basis.

new york
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

thank you!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
34 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

We stayed in Grand Case twice last year. That is what we like. We get up in the morning and drive over to Orient Beach and do our thing, Beach, Lunch at a great restaurant, HH at the Pearch, chill and head back to Grand Case. Grand Case allows late afternoon beach, sunset, wine and cheese on the deck or out for a dinner that fits the mood. For my wife and me it is the best of all situations. Check out Bleu Emeraude for beachfront room or L'Esplanade for great view.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Why do you think there is so many cops and private security guards there?

smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-martin-news/13705…

https://thedailyherald.com/index.php…

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
34 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Blah,Blah,Blah. Go on vacation, stay alert like you would do anywhere MYOB and have a good time. Sometime I think these chicken littles are from some other island just trying to get tourists to go there.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
407 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

I feel safer in Orient. No hard data to back it up, just a gut feeling.

9. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 14:05
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Orient bay or Grand case?

Blah blah blah, stay alert, don't wear any jewellery, don't leave anything in your car, don't stay late, don't drive around late at night, don't carry more than 20$...etc.

Most people go to Caribbean to relax. "Staying alert" and "being aware of your surroundings" is something you would do in a very bad neigbourhood or in a war zone.

Only someone with a vested interest in GC or elsewhere on the island could deny the crime issue there.

I am not saying don't go to St. Martin. I am saying some areas are best to avoid. IMHO, GC is one of those.