We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roda on a downward spiral

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Roda on a downward spiral

Just returned from Roda and was saddened to see how the area seems to trying to attract the lower end of the market now.

We were told it was quiet others were told it was a lively party place, we were very disappointed because it was noisy every night,. We will not return. Those looking for a party thought it was a dead end place and they will not return

All the other places we visited in Corfu were the same, Kasiopi, beautiful harbour and castle, crammed with awful clubs and bars for instance.

Had a great holiday but avoiding the chips/fags/drink and karaoke, awful tribute acts and disco (empty) means we are never going to return.

Corfu needs to make it's mind up, Roda seems to have decided it is joining up with Archavi (another awful place for me) to create one great big noisy party resort.

Best of luck to you.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Must admit the resort doesn't have that "Greek" feel to it, we drove there from the West coast a couple of years ago on route to somewhere else, we parked up had a walk around for 5 mins and escaped!! There will be people who enjoy the "entertainment" on offer but you could be anywhere in the world!! Try Agios Gordios next year Steve, see the difference.

http://www.agios-gordios.net/

No tribute acts, better beach by far and chilled.

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

go on the 29th dont know what to expect now, never been to corfu thought we would go for a change love the other greek islands

chrisitne

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Many people love Roda, return year after year, you will have a great time

you know what they say[[ one man,s meat is another mans poison]]

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Went there last year (late Sept) and it was more marked for us by a lot of a rain (3 1/2 days out 7) but that was unseasonal - the weeks before and after were good.

I'm not really snobby or anything, but there were very few real tavernas - the one we really liked was 'Roda Park' and a really old place down on the beach in town. The rest of the places were OK, just not 'Greek' places, there was more English food on the menu than anything else. The food was good, but wasn't the atmosphere we were looking forward and felt different to the way it was described in the guides from just a couple of years before.

Equally we couldn't find any bars without either loud music or football/x-factor/pub singer. I usually like to go for drink before and after I eat and just watch the world go by, a bit of quiet music and people just enjoying the view, but didn't find that anywhere when we were there, so we drank in the hotel bar mainly as that was nice.

There was nothing bad about the place, and it wasn't rowdy or unpleasant, just not the sort of place I go to relax. Plenty of others there seemed to be having a great time, and everyone we met in the hotel enjoyed the place.

It wasn't a bad holiday by any stretch, and sure with the better weather you will have a great time, but I agree, it seems to be choosing a market.

---

Not been to loads of Greece, but I really enjoyed Lassi in Kefalonia (and Argostoli the capital) and there was some really nice people watching bars in Halkadiki. Trying Dassia in Corfu this year, so will report back on how I find it.

Let us know how you get on blythchris.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Please don't get me wrong, we had a great holiday, just not what was promised and what we expected was Corfu to be like the other Greek Islands we visited, but it isn't.

Visit Corfu Town, catch the bus from Roda 3.60 don't pay for a tour.

Take a boat trip, this was good, we booked from the one that has all the bikes (can't remember its name) was a little more expensive but as we had booked a hire car from the RDK??? on the beach front it was cheap AND nasty, decided not to risk a refugee boat trip full of drunks and paarrty people.

Take a short walk up the beach and the sea is much better than around the town.

We hired a boat for the day too, £80 and we went to Sidari, moored the boat but did not stay long in Sidari, the rocks are nice but crowded and Sidari town is like Blackpool on a bad day. Also note that the fuel costs are extra fo pottering around on a boat for less than 4 hours the guy charged us an extra £20.00 when you consider the size of the engine and fuel tank, the distance travelled, clearly ripped off.

Have a great holiday, you now know what to expect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Agreed - hoping Dassia is more our taste, and will be having a look over the West side of the island too, but if it's not out thing then we will probably give Corfu a next time (though heard great things about the area between Corfu town and Dassia).

Had the same with boats before, always best to fill up yourself if you can, they will give you all sorts of reasons that they need to charge 2 or 3 times the price per litre - I like going back with a full tank for that reason.

Crete
Level Contributor
524 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Try Crete (avoiding Malia!) & you'll have a great time!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

Went to Roda in 2009 and had a great time !!

best beach in Corfu !!.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 21:39
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

The place has done down, its very shabby and unkempt now. Lots of abandoned buildings.

Just came back from holiday there, still had a great time, but the Govn. should look after it abit more. Love how quiet and serene it is. Would recommend for a quiet gettaway.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roda on a downward spiral

It was not quiet and serene the first two weeks in August, Karaoke bars, naff tribute acts and empty discos, noisy and rowdy drunken slobs shouting on the beach all night,

Get answers to your questions about Roda
Recent Conversations