We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best way to get from Malapascua Island to Apo Island?

I am going to be Scuba diving in April and need to get from one to the other as quickly and cheaply as possible due to a tight budget.

Many thanks

18 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

From Malapascua, take a boat to Maya and then a bus to Cebu.

From Cebu, take a ferry to Dumaguete and then another boat ride to Apo from Dauin.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Or, you can take a bus to San Remegio, then bus to Toledo city, then to Bato/liloan, where you can take Pumpboat to Sibulan, tricycle to Dumaguete.

Or you can do above as MH suggests, then take the bus from Cebu to Dumaguete, which takes the RoRo from Bato and drops you off in Dumaguete. This is the cheapest and possibly quickest option, But involves 8 hrs of bus rides

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Thank you both very much. We will look in to your suggestions and likely go for the cheaper option. We are used to long bus rides thanks to travel throughout Laos and Vietnam :)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Sinead, if you spend anytime in Dumaguete, be sure to eat at Hayahay resto bar, extremely good food, with live music every night. If in Dumaguete, you can dive Apo with Harolds mansion, otherwise many good places to stay in Dauin. Dont overlook "muck" diving in dauin, one of the best places in the world for this and Apo is a great dive sanctuary

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Also bear in mind that April is the height of summer. It can get terribly hot. Places with aircon would be better than without. I mean for accommodation.

As Phoenix suggested Hayahay is great. Dont miss Dumaguete express, so yummy.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Here we go on food again sole. I am a sucker for the baked Talaba cant get enough, you know what they say about oysters lol. Also the chili crabs are to die for

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Haha...

I could eat two plates of those talaba by myself.

Okay, will stop now. :)

Heading off to the internet to answer email & pm's.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Food is a great part of the travelling, so thanks for the recommendations!

I have read a lot of bad reviews about Harolds Mansion (bedbugs and grumpy staff etc). Did you have a good time there PHoenix?

Both my partner and I get a little seasick if the water is choppy, so an hour to get to Apo for the diving would be a drag. Also, I have read that a lot of the dive shops don’t often go that far (to save money on fuel). I was thinking of staying on Apo itself for a few days for the diving and snorkelling. Due to low costs I am tempted by Mario's scuba diving and homestay

(http://www.coconutinsider.com/dumaguete/diving/mario_apoisland/mario_apoisland.shtml ) . Anyone have experience with this establishment? I am finding it difficult to get hold of Mario though :( No electricity on the Island means that the heat will be uncomfortable as no fan or aircon, but hopefully we will cope!

Cheers

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Sinead, yes food is part of the culture and should be indulged as much as possible. Haha.

As for Harolds, I can say for sure that bedbugs story might be an isolated incident but I havent heard if fr the other travellers that I met who have stayed there. As for the staff, some are grumpier than others but I would not say rude at all as a rule. I feel it is a matter of expectations. And people get mad and write a review. But seriously if you are paying for 250 for a dorm room with free breakfast, wifi etc...you cannot expect 5 star service.

As for Mario's, just keep on trying his number. Maybe he is out diving some parts dont have signal. His homestay is nice. But going there means you need to take the boatride anyways orwhen you dive in APO, esp the back area, you do need to take the boat. But where did you hear that boats dont even reach Apo to save on fuel? The reason they cannot dock sometimes is the water is too choppy and their boats are too big, so they wont dock but you dont need to dock to dive. So it doesnt make sense. Plus you can always get a small boat to take you to the island.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua

Sinead if you still dont have Mario's number, here it is, +639063617254...

Reply to: Need Help WithTravel to Apo from Malapascua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Apo Island