We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some Advice?

Halifax
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for some Advice?

I have been to MI three times before and stayed at all-inclusive resorts each time. The last time I was there was 2006. I am thinking of heading back...there is something about MI that no matter where else I may go I keep thinking about it. Especially when shivering in Mexico in Feb. 2009!

Thinking of a longer stay 3 weeks or a month in Feb., I have been doing my research here on TA and I have a few Questions:

1) I read the post about safety but my question is this, if having dinner on the beach in Playa and a few drinks, how safe is it to walk back to my Posada/hotel (assuming it was 300m from the beach). Would a cab be the best bet? I'm not talking insensible but it is a vacation!

2) How much are chairs to rent on the beach? Is 50Bs about right?

3) Would like to do an overnight or 2 day tour to Los Roques any info on good posada's to request from tour company?

My trip is still in the planning stages and any additional advice would be welcome?

Cheers

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some Advice?

Hi Sailor:

Always nice to see fellow Canadians posting here.

What we recommend to the guests in our posada that if it's after 8 pm or so take a taxi back to the posada - the cost is around BsF.30. The later it is the wiser it is to do this. Just makes common sense.

The price for 2 chairs & an umbrella runs between BsF.60 to 80 however if you are going to be here for a 3 weeks or more just make a deal with your favourite place for the time you will be here. They will all offer you something.

For information on overnights to Los Roques have a look here:

www.islamargarita.com/losroques-english.htm

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some Advice?

To answer your questions...

1) I always walked however (following rules of caution) that was a couple of years ago so I will leave it to Playa el Agua since he lives there and knows better.

2) I think Playa el Agua's estimate is a little high. 50 is about right with some being more and some being less. The place I go when I go to Playa el Agua is 30 which includes 2 chairs, umbrella and a table with chairs for eating. Beers are 3 Bs. They also have a deal whereby you pay 150 for the year and can use the facilities whenever you want. That may be a good deal for you.

3) Can't help you anymore than the info Playa el Agua gave you on that one

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some Advice?

You will be hard pressed to find a beer anywhere for BsF. 3 unless you purchase a box of 36 returnables directly from the beer distribuition truck in which case you will need to purchase the box and rreturnable bottles.

Also, I have not seen sunshade with chair rentals for BsF. 30 per day in several years.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some Advice?

A case of 36 returnable bottles of Polar light, the best selling beer in Margarita, is BsF.63 in Bodegon Johny here in Playa El Agua.

That works out to BsF.1,75 per beer or around US$/CDN$0.23 each.

They are only 222 ml but it's great beer & you can drink quite a few without feeling them as it's only 4% alcohol.

The restaurants are charging around BsF.6 each, still under $1.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some Advice?

In 2006 I spent 4 days at Los Roques and stayed at Posada Los Corales. Its not a high end posada but it was comfortable enough for me and the price was right at about $70/night (including breakfast & dinner). It was clean and the food was good. It wasn't air conditioned but the posada design allowed the cool night breeze to flow through my room providing me we a decent night sleep even with the sunburn I had. The people associated with the posada where quite friendly; especially, after they found out I spoke a bit of spanish.

The more expensive posadas will run you more than $150us/night but if staying only 1 night then why not splurge!. They will also be closer to or right on the beach.

Here is a list of posadas with 2009-2010 pricing...

http://www.explorepartners.com/posadas/

Here is a link to a little map I like to used when doing my research. You can click on Gran Roque and then the village to see layout of the town and the location of some of the posadas. Its also good to see the location of various island in Los Roques.

http://www.los-roques.com/map.htm

Here are my pics from Los Roques. There are several pics taken within Gran Roque.

community.webshots.com/album/548878185MYMawj

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for some Advice?

@ info...the place is called Kathy's Cocada, recognizable by the colourful hammocks, and their current (as of last month) prices are 3 Bs per beer to lure you in and hopefully buy food (they used to be 1 B) and 30 Bs for a toldo.

7. Re: Looking for some Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa el Agua
Recent Conversations
More Playa el Agua Topics