We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

Thanks to input from the board we have decided to go to San Gerardo De Dota after time in Manuel Antonio, and stay at the Savegre Mountain Lodge. We plan on birding in the mornings, doing a fishing afternoon, and doing a waterfall hike or mountain hike. Knowing the area, is 4 nights too much? I have been told by someone on the board who seems to know the area quite well that 2 nights should cover the area off, I had just hoped to not have to travel/transfer hotels a second time in that 4 day period.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

Two nights is a much more typical stay en route between San Jose and the south coast. However if you've looked at their website and noted available excursions and love birding, go right ahead. If day 1 is arrival, day 2 is birding and waterfall hike, day 3 is fishing, day 4 is birding and mountain hike (or horseback ride) and day 5 is departure, you could have a slow relaxing time.

You could also consider spenidng 2 nights at Hacienda Baru (http://www.haciendabaru.com/) outside Dominical which has great birding & wildlife and the last 2 nights at Savegre Lodge.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

Most people we have met in San Gerardo de Dota stay two nights because they are on a tight schedule. But we have also met persons that stay one week there and love it. On our first visit we stayed two nights and on our second visit three nights. It's a lovely area full of exciting birds and a great cloud forest. I don't think you would get bored staying 4 nights there. I could easily spend two weeks there ;-)

toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

Thank you. I just wonder if we do one big activity a day: i.e. a hike, or birding, etc. what we would do for the rest of the afternoon/evening. We will have just spent 6 days doing nothing but beaching it up and the occaisional hike. So I thought if we did 2 activities a day in San Gerardo de Dota that might keep us occupied? Or are we being too ambitious.

Geographic, Crfan, Doe-saurus, and CostaRicaFan78 have all mentioned Hacienda Baru so that actually WAS my go to place for a 2nd location, I just had wanted to stick to 1 location if possible.

For those of you who have been to Savegre - so you do your hike/or whatever activity starting early in the morning into the early afternoon, is the rest of the day just spent relaxing in the lounge or your room/porch? From what I can tell there is no real small town nearby.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

I agree that if you have time there is no problem at all staying there more than two days. By the way, not long ago I gave quite detailed birding info for Savegre to another poster here. You should be able to find it under my screen name.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

If you like birds...some fishing..and relax...4 days is not enough...it is perfect!

roadadvisor

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

Stayed at Savegre lodge in April 2010 for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. We booked our room with lodging only and ate at the lodge when it fit our schedule and at a local soda, Myriam's(several km up the mountain ) at other times.We had a suite with a fireplace that was very adequate, clean and comfortable.After doing tours we hiked around the lodge and down to the waterfall-a very nice walk. They have some easy trails and some that will test your fitness at 7,000 feet. They have a newly built spa for some luxury after hiking. After Savegre we traveled 30km closer to San Jose and stayed at El Toucanet in Copey de Dota for 2 nights. It is owned by an ex pat American, Gary and his Costa Rican wife Edna. Here you can experience great small town Costa Rica at its best! The birding was great with probably the best Quetzal viewing in Costa Rica. Edna's home cooking was the best! If you would like to see some(OK alot) of pictures go to:

…google.com/artiejay77/…

Copy and paste that to your search bar, please. Some pictures from Sarapiqui are also included.

toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

Thank you everyone so much for your replies.

I have just found out that Savegre has no room for us, so we may go to Trogon or maybe Dantica if they have room. If not then maybe the 2 nights in Baru & 2 nights in San Gerardo. I didn't realize when I was 'counting' the days that if we leave MA at 10am on the 8th there is probably a healthy drive to San Gerardo so most of that day will be a wash.

8. Re: Is 4 days too many for San Gerard De Dota?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Gerardo de Dota