We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
46 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Hello, we are in the process of planning a trip to Costa Rica in Feb of next year where we would like to spend several days in the San Gerado de Dota area to hopefully see Quetzals and then spend time at Bosque del Cabo. Should we drive to the San Gerardo de Dota area after arriving in Alajuela, then drive back to Alajuela to return the car and catch a domestic flight to Puerto Jimenez? I don't fancy trying to drive to Puerto Jimenez. Also, we plan on staying 3 nights in the San Gerardo area and spend 6 nights at Bosque del Cabo. Is 3 nights a long enough time to spend in San Gerardo de Dota?

Thanks!

Virginia

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

I don’t see the reason to drive back to Alajuela from San Geraldo de Dota. The easiest would be to continue the drive all the way to Puerto Jimenez and give your car back there, and take a taxi to Bosque del Cabo, it’s a easy drive and good road all the way. For return fly back. Or drive to Uvita return your car and organize a private transfer or shared shuttle to Puerto Jimenez. San Geraldo de Dota is mainly a birding destination 3 nights is plenty maybe even two nights.

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
46 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Thanks so much for your reply. Good to hear that the road to Puerto Jimenez is decent. Approximately how long a drive is it from San Gerado de Dota to Puerto Jimenez?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,044 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

I did this drive in August. Started at km 70 of the PanAm at 10:00 am and arrived in Puerto Jimenez at 17:00 ( 5 pm) with one stop for lunch. I did the longer route driving on PanAm all the way to Palmar Norte. If driving via Dominical using Costanera Sur it should be faster. The part between Chacarita and La Palma was quite bumpy but already on our return 4 days later a nice chunk of it was repaired. I would rent a car and drop it in Puerto Jimenez and fly back. Three nights are enough in San Gerardo. BdC has a shuttle transport for the guests that are coming by plane so you could arrange for a pick up.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

As Xelas mentiones 6 to 7 hours

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
46 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like the best thing we should do. It will also give us a chance to see more of Costa Rica if we drive. Thank goodness for GPS!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Good advice above. I think Solid is the only rental company with a Puerto Jimenez office, so would be the obvious choice.

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
46 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Thanks for the tip about Solid. That was going to be next research project, finding rental car companies that allow drop off in Puerto Jimenez

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Two nights is enough at San Gerardo de Dota - great sightings of quetzals and numerous species of hummingbirds at Savegre Lodge. Do set up a birding guide in advance if you are an avid birder. It's cold at night due to the higher elevation, so bring some warm clothes!

Bosque del Cabo will have much more wildlife than the San Gerardo area. You might think about staying one night at a beach lodge in the Puerto Jiminez area (Iguana Lodge, Black Turtle) for dolphin tours, animal sanctuary, etc. This will save you time and money - they are offered from BdC but you'll have an hour transfer each way and the grounds at BdC are enough to keep you busy with hiking.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Great advice by every body...drive to Dota and keep going to Puerto Jiemenz...the road is in great shape some pot holes around Rincon...but not a big deal!

roadadvisor

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
46 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Combining trip to San Gerado de Dota and OSA Peninsula

Who needs a travel agent when we have Trip Advisor! Thank you everyone for great suggestions. We will take your advice and just spend 2 nights in the Gerardo de dota area. Instead of rushing to Puerto Jimenez (though I like the idea of staying there one night to do some tours as I know Bosque del Cabo is long drive from Puerto Jimenez), another thing we are thinking of is staying one night in Uvita. My understanding is the coastal highway is the faster route.

Get answers to your questions about San Gerardo de Dota