We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

Which Acantilado de los Gigantes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

Help - we have only earlier today booked a holiday at the Hotel Los Gigantes for Easter. We had a wonderful holiday at this hotel a few years ago and have been saying ever since that we would go back.

I was googling the weather for Los Gigantes and came upon these reports re sickness and now I wish we had booked elsewhere although, on reading the reports, there would perhaps seem to be some sort of sense about it being a sewage problem as if it were a virus then others would be affected too.

We are now seriously wishing we had perhaps booked elsewhere or that we had looked on here before booking as we would certainly then have booked elsewhere and, from what you are all saying, we don't stand much chance of Thomsons agreeing to change our booking to another hotel. - No wonder the price seemed quite good.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

If it were me I'd be arguing my point with the travel agent. Thomson's are aware there is a problem at this hotel though they would probably deny it. No way in the world would I be wanting to stay in an area or hotel that is known to have health problems. Put your foot down with them.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

Many thanks for the advice

We only booked it yesterday and have hastily followed it up with an email about all the problems we have now noted and asking if we can change the booking to, perhaps, another hotel.

Sent the email first thing (before 8am) this morning but not heard anything yet - perhaps we won't.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

Keep on the case or they will just ignore it or say it takes them ?? days to respond. You go on holiday to enjoy and relax, not to be worried before you go and possibly ill during and after your return.

Blackburn, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

I did exactly the same, booked it on Monday and e.mailed Thomsons yesterday morning andi still havent had a reply

Lancashire
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

if you don't get a satisfactory reply tell them you are contacting ABTA. Otherwise try contacting ABTA or Holidaytravelwatch.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

If you have booked a package holiday with Thomson you CAN switch hotels but it will cost you an admin charge of £100.

If you booked online you can easily do this under the "manage my booking", otherwise over the phone to Thomson.

Criteria is that holiday must be at least 2 weeks away and you can only select an alternative of the same price or greater otherwise the admin charge is huge. This is important - just £1 below the cost of you original holiday and admin charge is massive - I added things like full board and a taxi transfer to get the price of replacement hotel to exact same cost as before and admin was £100

I know because i was in exactly the same situation and I spoke to Thomson who advised me of how to change a hotel.

Last night I did just that - and very easily I must say too - I found an alternative hotel, added the few extras to get the price up to the same as previous holiday cost, kept the same flights etc, paid the £100 admin and all sorted.

One could argue a case for claiming the admin charge back and I may well consider but my initial priority was to sort out my holiday and look forward to it again ... which I am doing now :-) going full board , four star, to Costa Adeje with a taxi transfer too!

Log on to Thomson website, manage my booking, amend my booking and you'll get all the alternatives.

Let me know how you get on and good luck.

I should add DON'T email Thomson - manage your booking online or phone them and when you get through (can take some time) you will get good advice and help.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 15:13
somerset england
Level Contributor
132 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

Thomson took 8 days to reply to my email and had a response to my recorded delivery letter two days AFTER we arrived back!! When we asked to change they said we would lose 50% of our money but quite frankly I wish we had just cut our loses! we came home 15th March and I am still not well! DEMAND A REFUND, threaten with solicitors, anything but DO NOT GO THERE! Sorry for been so negative but I wished I had listened to people advising us not to go!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

There is a link on one of the other posts that shows you a case that has gone legal.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

Here is the link -

http://www.holidayclaims.com/Tenerife

Click on current cases tab and then the appropriate hotel.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - Just booked holiday at Hotel Los Gigantes

We had stayed here twice before and loved the hotel so booked to go back this tuesday. Was googling last sunday and saw all about the virus so went into the shop on Monday to demand we be moved. The shop fully supported us but Thomson's did not. My husband had to get quite angry and demanded they give us a letter stating it was save to go and there was no risk of infection as we run a food business. Surprisingly after 5 minutes they agreed to move us for an admin cost of £100! We obviously paid this but are monitoring the situation and will argue for compensation when we get back. Now off to Costa Adeje and fingers crosses there is no infection there. God help us all on the plane coming home if anyone has stayed ayt Los Gigantes. Terrible that Thomsons are not looking after customers, surely it is going to cost them more in the long run!

Get answers to your questions about Acantilado de los...
Recent Conversations