We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kaiteriteri

sanjiv1214
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
kaiteriteri

hi we are family of 4 staying at Bethany Park motel in mid march and i have a few questions pls if anyone can help ;_

1. is there many eating shops near Bethany Park Motel?

2. and where is the best place to celebrate my birthday (pls remember we are 2 adult and 2 kids age 3 and 4?

3.and any other suggestion pls on do and donts

thank you

8 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kaiteriteri

Bethany park is a 20 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the beach and the main tourist area. In Kaiteriteri there are only two eating options and they are the Beached Whale and The Shoreline. They are both expensive for what you get as they are ripping off tourists. The shorelines meals are average but it is popular for coffee and cake as it overlooks the beach. The fish shops are owned by these restaurants. My suggestion is buy fish and chips and sit on beach for yourmbirthday. Its great. Marahau is another 20 minute drive away and it has a couple of nice cafes. It is the start of the Abel Tasman park walk as well. The other option is to go to Motueka which is the nearest town to Kaiteriteri. A 15 minute drive and has a number of eating options. Kimi Ora is also in Kaiteriteri, but its a bit run doen now and just has a vegetarian restaurant which has never been open when ive been there.

Bethany Park is not a motel, it is a campground with cabins. Its at the end of the road. The Kaiteriteri holiday park is the most popular in Kaiteriteri and is right next to the beach. However, holiday homes are also very popular options in Kaiteriteri.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 19:15
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kaiteriteri

Poppynz's suggestions are excellent - eating fish 'n chips on the beach would be my choice too. 15 minutes gets you to Motueka, but it is only another 10 minutes from there to Jester House near Tasman Village. Jester House is a superb country, wacky, child-friendly cafe with playground, eels to feed and a lovely ambience.

Consider taking a water taxi in to Abel Tasman and being dropped off at a beach to do a wee walk. The option of walking to the next beach to be picked up (about 1.5 hours) would probably be too much with a 3 and 4 year old however.

If you are in to mountain biking, there is a superb network of tracks beside Bethany Park. Not suitable for little ones though.

There is excellent safe swimming in the inlet between the bridge leading to Bethany Park and the sea.

Finally, bring lots of sunscreen! We have had blue skies for a month now.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kaiteriteri

We will also be staying Kaiteriteri and will arrive on Easter Sunday. I am vegetarian and my husband is not. We will have a car. Any suggestions where we could have dinner?

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kaiteriteri

Chokdee. (http://www.chokdee.co.nz/ ) in Motueka has excellent food with vegetarian options or Simply Indian. These are our choices for dining when going from where we live at Mapua to the Gecko Theatre or State Cinema in Motueka.

Another option is to drive 15 mins beyond Motueka through to Mapua to dine at Jellyfish (Nelson's top chef) or The Appleshed. Dive off the Wharf, have an icecream at Hamish's, go by ferry to Rabbit Island for superb sandy beaches - and then dine later.

Have a wonderful Easter.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 22:54
sanjiv1214
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kaiteriteri

hi poppynz and corruGate thank you for your advise god bless you

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kaiteriteri

Corrugate....what is the Mapua smokehouse called and is it open.....was thinking of going there.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kaiteriteri

The Smokehouse has split in to a smoked fish sales and fish n chips outlet (called The Smokehouse) plus a restaurant under the management of Tom and Viv Fox called The Appleshed - see http://www.appleshed.co.nz/. It is open and in fact we have Japanese guests dining there as we speak. The other option, as I mentioned previously, is Jellyfish Restaurant and Bar right next door - see http://www.jellyfishmapua.co.nz/ Both offer beautiful dining overlooking the Waimea Inlet.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kaiteriteri

Check reviews. As a local I wouldnt go to smokehouse. Golden Bear is great. But the jellyfish is probably most popular in Mapua. However, they wouldnt be my choice with kids. I would go to jester house. If you staying for some time I suggest a day trip over the hill to Takaka and go fishing at Anatoki Salmon, catch some salmon. some nice cafes there too.

Reply to: kaiteriteri
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaiteriteri
Recent Conversations