We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

Hello All

I need ur help to create n itinerary for my trip to Himachal and uthrakhand in first two weeks of AUG

Places to be covered:

Chandigarh (by flight)- shimla, manali (optional), spiti (optional), mcleod/dharamshala, rishikesh (river rafting, bungee) to auli to valley of flowers-back-haridwar-chandigarh (Flight to mumbai)

Kindly help with the following:

1. Apt route so that maximum is covered in a period of 15 days (i've kept manali n spiti optional becuz im alil apprehensive if they'll allow me to cover all the other places with no rush.. my focus is valley of flowers. If its not a problem, then i can add manali)

2. Me n my frnds will be together till mcleod or simla, depending on the route u suggest (n if i'm not going to manali) after that i'm going SOLO to rishikesh-joshimath-valley of flowers-hemkund-badri-back to chandigarh

HOW safe and convenient it is to go to these places alone...will i get easy transportation? i.e. govt buses and 'shared' taxis? Kindly suggest

3. Also, do i need to pre-book accomodation? Will i get a room in dharamshalas without advance booking? Any good recommendations?

4. Should i rather go with tour groups? They're taking total 9 days to cover rishikesh-valley of flowers-badrinath-back

5. Since i'd be there by 10 of aug, the valley will be in full bloom around that time?

6. Any tourists attractions that i can cover in the surrounding areas?

Budget: Economical. However cannot compromise on safety.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

Hi,

You are trying to cover too much in short span. You will be consuming almost full week for VOF if you travelling alone cause of dependency on many things.

I would suggest to book thru a group tour. They are good and go very organized tour. VOF is in full bloom from mid July to mid Sep, a week here or there so, depending on arrival of monsoon.

Keep in mind that during Monsoons, Utrakhand is risky in remote areas. If you remmeber the last year's terrible floods and destruction. thus, to be with group will always help. U wont be compromising with safety. With Rishikesh and Badrinath baked in the tour, 9 days is a good and justified time.

Cheers!

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

Hi,

Thanks! You must be aware that VOF is closed this yr, so we're taking a chandigarh-mcleod-khajjar-manali-spiti route.

However, im stuck at the very first step, i.e. how to reach mcleod frm chandigarh. Our budget is too tight to be spending 3-4k on taxi. Kindly suggest on the MODE OF TRANSPORT to reach mcleod? Our flight is reachin chandigarh at 3.30pm., We do not plan to stay in chandigarh n immediately leave for mcleod.

We're 2 girls.

Also, would you suggest that we take a taxi package for this whole trip, or taking taxis n buses from each point wud be more cheaper n better?

Edited: 17 July 2014, 12:56
3. Re: Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2016, 12:20
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

Hi,

Yes, VoF is not completely accessible this year not just because of rains, but mainly coz a bridge was destroyed last year and will take another year to be constructed.

CHD to Dharamshala is roughly ~250kms. Takes 6-7 hrs easily.

From CHD, you will have two options, take Volvo to Dharamshala. Will cost around 1200 per person. There will be state transport buses as well but then, cosidering you are two girls - safety and comfort should be valued.

You can find the buses schedule etc on MMT. But they leave mainly at night. so you will have sometime to kill within CHD. You will reach early morning.

Other option is to take taxi, it will be quicker, you will also save the time between reaching CHD and taking volvo around 10pm. You will reach around midnight. If you dont have a reservation of hotel, it will be tough wandering in night for rooms.

Ofcourse, cheapest mode of transport will be the state run buses. But then you have to figure out if you would like to compromise on safety + comfort. I would suggest to take a volvo. Leaves around 10-11 pm. Anyways, you will be walking out of airport around 4:30pm or so.

CheerS!

Luv.

5. Re: Route: mcleod-manali-cut to rishikesh-valley of flowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:16