We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosqitos

Which Alykes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mosqitos

Arriving on Thursday, are the mozzies still out in force this time of year?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosqitos

Oh yes!!!!! I got savaged in July in Kalamaki and I don't normally get bitten. Have several corkers of bites now, that's in Kefalonia, but I think I can safely say that the little blighters have been particularly bad this year on both islands!!

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosqitos

Many peaple have there views as to whats the best repelent,definately plug ins for your room.Dont buy spray from the tourist shops.I was informed by the chemist in Argassi that sometimes these are out of date and mozzies become immune to the old sprays.I buy from the resort chemist,but there are good alternatives back in the uk.

Hull , East...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosqitos

Yes! Mozzies are still out in force. We returned from Alykes on Thursday.We had plug ins in the rooms and took repellent spray with us, i got bit twice but that was when i forgot to use the spray! Hope this helps.

uk
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosqitos

Thanks everyone, will pick something up in Boots tomorrow then.

The little buggers normally like me..............been a while since we last visted Alykes.

Birchington, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosqitos

I'm going to Alykes on 15th Sept and having been here twice before and got bitten alive, I'm well prepared this year! I recommend you buy in UK before you leave. I'm taking a liquid plug in for the room (Superdrug), Jungle Formula spray (Asda have it on special offer) maximum strength, Avon dry oil body spray in Soft & Fresh (deters the blighters and moisturises your skin), and anti-histamine tablets (get them in Savers - so much cheaper and get your loperamide for holiday tummy there too). If you take anti-histamine every day while away, even if you do get bitten you won't swell up and have nasty huge lumps! They're worse near the salt lakes especially in the evening so avoid if possible.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosqitos

I've been bitten in Alykes like nowhere else in the past. Went to Rhodes last year for 2 weeks in July and never got bitten, in Alykes this June I got 40 - 50 bites. God knows how you stop them.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosqitos

Mosquitos will be more prevalent in Alykes - they love warm and wet areas! With all the salt flats, marshes and streams in Alykes it is a mossie haven! Not a lot you can do really, other than take your plug-ins, light citronella candles on your balcony and spray your exposed areas with repellent. Lots of different sprays you can obtain from chemists/supermarkets in the UK - however, sometimes I find the local (Greek) mossie replellant sprays are better and probably cheaper too. Some of the properties/apartments in Alykes are fitted with mossie screens and these are great!

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosqitos

Just back yesterday only got one bite on my bum of all places but did get my usual wasp sting around the poolside of the Mill bar. We literally coated ourselves with "deet" based products every evening as we always do. The "lone ranger mossie" got into our room for a day I think but I had him with a can of spray l.o.l. Saw lots of people with the usual tell tale signs all down their legs, silly buggers when it's so avoidable in most cases using protection. We used "Mosquito Xpel" and airosol "Calypso" sprays both bought for just a couple of pounds from "Home Bargains" both worked a treat.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 09:10
slough
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosqitos

They are out in force. I dont normally get bites but have got about five on my legs and only been here two days!

Zakynthos, Greece
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosqitos

they are still here but most people bring jungle formula spray and are ok .but i live here and use avon skin so soft dry oil and i find this works the best . hope you will be ok when u get here have a great hoilday and hope this helps

Get answers to your questions about Alykes