We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Atlanta
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

My husband and I plan a trip to this area next July. We would like to do some hut-to-hut hiking for 2 or 3 nights. Could you recommend someone who could help us plan an itinerary?

We are mature adults (ages 60 & 65) and like to take our time to enjoy the scenery along the way. Last year hiking the Canadian Rockies we did 6 or 7 miles a day with about 1200 feet in elevation gain. We'd prefer not to hike with a group so we can set our own pace. We are open to either self-guided hikes or perhaps hiring a private guide.

Thank you for your assistance!

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Hi,

whereabouts do you intend to hike? The Dolomites cover a rather extensive area. Have you been here once befor and what have you seen then? Where will you be arriving from? By what means will you be going to get into the Dolomites: car, train? Will you have to catch a plan afterwards (I ask this because once you are on a hut and it starts to rain you might be cought up in the hut without being able to get down into the valley).

If you do decide to hire a local hiking guide check on south-tirol.com/mountain-sports/equipment-mo…

Let me know, I'm happy to help you if I can.

Gerd

Edited: 13 October 2012, 15:20
Atlanta
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Thanks for your reply, Gerd. I am just learning about the Dolomites. We have not been there before. The farthest north we've traveled in Italy is Milan.

We will likely be arriving from the Lake Como area (Verenna) via public transportation. I'm thinking the Alpe di Suisi area might be best for two reasons: 1) It's closer and appears easier to get to. We'll be heading north to Pontresina Switzerland via public transport from there. 2) the hiking looks a little less challenging. We don't want to do any scrambling, cliffs, ladders, etc. We don't mind elevation but don't want to do any technical climbing. Do those reasons make sense or should we consider another area?

We hiked with a private guide last summer in the Canadian Rockies and LOVED it!! However, they were day hikes. I'm not sure a private guide overnight for 2 or 3 nights would be affordable. Do you know about what that would cost?

From what I've read, the trails in Alpe di Siusi are very well marked. I think if we had a good itinerary with advance reservations at the huts we'd probably be okay. Do you agree? If so, do you know anyone we could hire to develop a custom itinerary for us?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Barb

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
763 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Hello

There's an American company called Ryder Walker who seem to do self-guided walks in the Alpi di Siusi/Val Gardena/Val Badia areas.

As I understand it, they organize transfers, accommodation and luggage transport, but you do the walks at your own pace.

Might be worth having a look at?

DD

Atlanta
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Dear DD,

Thank you SO much! This looks like exactly what I had in mind!

Best regards,

Barb

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
763 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Hi Barb,

You're welcome. I've never used them but they seem to have a good reputation, and the hotels they use are nice ones.

I hope you'll decide to come to our lovely area!

DD

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Hi Barb,

sorry, but I was out and about the last couple of days and couldn’t reply to your posting. In the meantime I saw that somebody already made a suggestion that might answer your needs.

Well, there are many, many possibilities to hike in the Dolomites, and many, many areas that are easily accessible and that fit your requirements of less “challenging” hikes.

Generally, all trails in the Dolomites are very well marked. Even long before the Dolomites where nominated as a world heritage area utmost care was taken to mark all trails, and they are- and were - always well maintained.

So my suggestions for some hut-to-hut hikes would be as follows:

• Day 1: From San Cassiano to Rif: Fanes (1) – 6 miles, 3:30hrs, 602m up, 259m down (there are plenty of options to lengthen this hike)

• Day 2: from Rif. Fanes to Rif. Senes – 6 miles, 4:30, 680m up (one section of about 45-60min. along a steep dirt-road, rather steep, but VERY interesting!) and 584m down

• Day 3: from Rif. Senes to Lake Prags (2) – 6 miles, 4:10hrs, 333m up, 980m down

Another option (in this option you’ll stay in a palce in the Badia Valley):

• Day 1: do a circular trail on the Armentara pasture (above Pedraces, you take the chair-lift to the Hospiz – photos (3)): fantastic flowers in July!!! – 4:30hrs., 590m up, 590 down

• Day 2: take the chair lift from San Cassiano to Piz Surega and enjoy a hike along the ridge to Prolongia-Hut and on to Rif. Valparola, from there you either catch the bus back into the valley or you stay there overnight – 4:10hrs., 546m up, 373m down. Calculate some time to see the war-museum up there

• Day 3: continue from Valparola to Forc. Salares, Scotoni-Hut and on to Alta Via 1 to finally come back to Capanna Alpina and back to the main road.

Option 3 (Alpe di Siusi):

Book yourself in in a place on the Alpe di Siusi and do hikes from there (careful: prices up there are of course a little bit higher than normally)

Of course you can do also hikes from Selva di Gardena (into the Langental, up Col Raiser hut and doing some hikes there, and eventually taking the bus out to St. Ulrich (Ortisei) to catch the chair lift up Malga Saltner to hike either into Innerratschötz or Ausserratschötz (4)

Or you hike near the famous Tre Cime di Lavaredo (see http://www.umbriameteo.com/webcam/trecime/)

• Day 1: take the bus up to Rif. Auronzo, hike around the Tre Cime and finish your day on Rif. Pian di Gengia (5) – 5 hrs., 816m up, 567m down

• Day 2: Rif. Pian di Gengia to Rif. Tre Scarperi – 4hrs., 178m up, 1126m down

• Day 3: a little strenous: Rif. Tre Scarperi – Lake Dobbiaco – 6:40 – 937m UP in ONE stretch!!!, 1300m down

General notes:

for every hike I have added the extra hour for nice and comfortable hiking – hiking times only without breaks. All lifts and starting-/finishing points etc. are accessible via public transport. Of course, I can help you with the details of transport and accommodations. Note: distances UP and DOWN are TOTAL distances, so the trails of course go up and down all the time.

You can see photos of some of these trails on my photo-gallery:

(1) The first six photos on https:/…5681195317887810434 show you the beginning of the trail on day one (the rest of the photos are those I made when we branched off the trail and continued to hike to the summit of the Lavarella Peak in winter, you however won’t have to climb as high)

(2) https:/…SeekofelJune2012 (some photos are taken from the peak of Seekofel. You won’t have to get up there).

(3) https:/…ArmentaraPasturesJune2012

(4) https:/…Ausserratschotz and https:/…Innerratschotz (all photos taken in winter!!!)

(5) https://picasaweb.google.com/111064870418881…

Oh yea, something really important: you ought to make sure you do get insurance for any emergencies. You can purchase that here from the Aiut Alpin, a company in the Val Gardena that carries out helicopter rescue.

As far as private hiking guides are concerned I shall send you a message with some details.

Hope that helped too.

See you in the Dolomites.

Gerd

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

We did a hut to hut hike last year in the Dolomites and the guides from the Cicerone Press are fantastic for planning and to use while on the trail.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

hi geegees mom...I am staring to plan my trip for a night or two in the Dolomites and I was curious if you had any luck in making a decision on what you guys are doing. we will be there in October

Atlanta
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

Sorry, not yet. We put the trip on hold due to some other conflicts. Not sure yet whether we'll still do the trip this summer.

in addition to the above, i have gotten some good information about tour options from:

Monika Valentini

Sales Manager

Dolomite Mountains s.r.l.

Strada Micurà de Ru 18

39030 San Cassiano (BZ)

Dolomites (Italy)

Office: +39 0471 840005

Mobile: +39 342 6104830

North America: +1 347 826 6271

Fax: +39 0244 386 376

www.dolomitemountains.com

Hope this helps.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
84 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hut Hiking Alpe di Siusi

We are thinking of hiking in August in the Alps di Siusi and would like to have some advice please.

We shall be arriving in Milano and will then have to travel by public transport to the starting point of the trail.

We want to do this hike absolutely leisurely - no rush - enjoying scenery and ambience as we go.

DAY 1: from the Panorama Hotel south of Compaccio walking to Rifugio Bolzano

DAY 2: From R Bolzano to Rifugio Alpe de Tires

DAY 3: From R Alpe di Tires to another Rifugio and stay 2 nights - Rifugio Passo Princip OR Tifugio Antermoia ?????

DAY 4: hike in area and sleep over in same place as DAY 3 - is this adviseable?

DAY 5: Hike out either to Vigo de Fassa OR Fontanazza ???

Days 3,4 and 5 is not clear to me - what option will be the best?

Looking forward hearing from anybody with good advice.

Get answers to your questions about Alpe di Siusi