We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

Which Pantai Cenang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
1 post
Save Topic
meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

hi, I am heading to langkawi in april and keen to stay in the pantai cenang area as i like the idea of cheap food and markets! we are thinking of staying at the meritus pelangi and am wondering if the beach view room is worth the extra money.... it's my honeymoon so i want it to be romantic but i hate being ripped off!! thanks in advance!

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

Hi

Congratulations

As it's your honeymoon I would splash out a little & if the beach/ocean view room is what you fancy the book it. Many people enjoy looking out first thing in the morning to the sea, but equally may people enjoy lookin out over a nice garden. The choice, ultimately is yours.

Have fun

Mick

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

Dear Haylshugstrees,

I have stayed in both rooms. I do like the view over the lake. You see monitor lizards and other animals here and it is very quiet. As you come from Perth you might not need the look over the ocean/beach. In any case, you can not go wrong either this or that way.

Enjoy the beautiful Pelangi!

Eva

lerwick
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

Hi Congratulations,

I stayed in various places in Langwaki in January 2011, including the mertus pelangi, which is at the end of centang beach . The rooms are lovely but the hotel is let down by very over priced food and drink and being on the worst part of the beach. You can get as good a room in a hotel, beach chalet or tree hut right on centang beach for a fraction of the price ,directly on the beach with excellent bars and places to eat on your door step.

Aldo be aware of the mosqetoes. I would suggest taking a net with you if you are prone at to all bites.

Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

I would say both sea & garden views have their own charm. However, if given a choice again, I would choose beach front rooms again. Do take note that there are 2 very different sides for beach front rooms, with the hotel facilities in the centre. To the left, the rooms are near the shopping area & water sports. This side is convenient but also more crowded & kinda noisy. I prefer the other side which is quieter, with better views of sunset.

Personally, I find the lakeview rooms in a neglected state. When I was there 2 weeks ago, the lakes looked dirty & there was a bad smell in the air. I am surprised, considering this is supposed to be a 5-star hotel.

Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

Didnt stay there myself but the beach huts looked stunning. The pools were great too. I would agree with other poster comments to go the the quiter side, on the right. I would also agree with other posters comments that it's worth looking at other hotels for better value. I stayed at the Frangipani n the next beach down. It was right on the beach with sea and garden view bungalows and in my opinion views were nicer. Panti Tengah and Cenanag are so close you can walk but a taxi is cheap and easy to. Villa Molek looked lovely but is not on the beach. Budget aside given the choice I would choose Villa Molek then Frangapani and last Meritus Pelangi.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

Dear Haylshugstrees,

as Pelangi is so closed to nice restaurants, check out if you book it without breakfast. Just a few hundred meters down the road are really nice places including Beach Garden, Breakfast Bar and so on.

another alternative could be Sunset Beach Resort. But if you do want to use you room longer and enjoy the balcony and the view I would rather spend the money here.

Eva

Birmingham
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

We returned yesterday from our Honeymoon at the Meritus Pelangi.

We booked through Trailfinders and as we were honeymooners were offered a free upgrade to a pool/lake view room. However, when we got to the hotel there were no pool/lake view rooms available so we were given a free double upgrade to a sea view. Obviously Im not sure on the price difference but I'd say it's definitely worth it. Fantastic sunset views, loungers right outside our room on the beach so very handy for using the fridge for drinks etc and toilet if spending the day on the beach.

Would recommend room only as food in the town is much cheaper and fantastic (Champor Champor, Putamayo, The Brasserie highly recommended).

Enjoy!

8. Re: meritus pelangi... beach or garden view?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 12:15