We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

Hi everyone :)

I'm going to Langkawi for three nights in September, as part of a 5 week backpacking holiday. We are coming from Penang, so would the boat into Kuah jetty be the best option in terms of price and ease?

Also, I have seen that travelling about the island via public transport isn't that easy, so would it best best to hire a car / most likely a scooter? We both have driving licenses. How much would this cost?

I am also only booking hostels in places where I definitely want to stay, i.e. a certain hotel in the Cameron Highlands, and a place on the river in Borneo. Is it best to just have a wander and turn up to a place in Langkawi, or do fellow backpackers recommend booking in advance, as I also haven't seen many advertised on websites. I am looking to stay in Pantai Cenang.

How have peple gone about island hopping? Is there a particular tour company one has gone with that has been really good?

AND FINALLY! We will be flying from Langkawi airport to Kota Kinabalu, is it best to take a taxi here after dropping off the scooter we will hopefully get!

Thank you in advance! x

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

I'd fly from Penang to Langkawi.( Book early for best prices). Hire a car from the airport, it won't cost much more than renting 2 scooters from Pantai Cenang.- and you'll save on taxi fares to and from the airport.

There a several options for budget accommodation, my favourite is Rainbow Lodge www.rainbowlangkawi.com. Along the same road is Gecko, which I've also heard good reports about. Shirin Guest House is another, I have stayed there and it was OK, some guests find the owners obtrusive.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

Dear RL,

island hopping is the cheapest way to see the beuty of the islands. It is about 35 RM/head. Choose the one that goes to the Lake of the Pregnant Maiden. Preferably without eagle feeding. Go the earliest in the morning to avoid the crouds.

I hate the ferry to Penang. It can be rough, overbooked and even dangerous. Take the plane!

Eva

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

Im heading to langkawi mid october. Im staying a week, i want to see some of the other islands is it best to island hop or stay on langkawi and travel to and forth to the different islands evrytime?

Also haven't come across any hostels yet, would like a hut on the beach?. Any cheap suggestions

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,395 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

Hi

For some of the cheaper accommodation options look at such places as Rainbow Lodge, AB Motel and Malibest - particularly if you can book one of the tree top chalets which are on the beach. Langkawi does not have such things as beach huts but lots of basic accommodation can be found just a few steps from the beach.

Lesley

5. Re: Langkawi Travel, Hostel, Itinery and Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Pantai Cenang