We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Trips

Which Pantai Cenang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bradford England
Level Contributor
204 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife Trips

We are visiting Langkawi at Easter next year. We are both very keen on bird watching and wildlife viewing in general (not in zoos!) Can anyone recommend any wildlife trips they have taken, and offer any advice on how to book for them.

We will be staying in Pantai Cenang but I think the island is quite small and so maybe it would not be too much of a problem to travel to other areas?

Many thanks in advance

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife Trips

Hi

Certainly travel around the island is easy. Hire yourself a car & have fun.

As for wildlife tours, you are not really staying in the right place, Berjaya, Andaman or Datai have much more to offer. However have a look at Dev's adventure tours, we have done all of their tours & they are amazing, or Junglewallah, or even Rimbawi. Just do a google search.

Hope this helps

Mick

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife Trips

Dear Prettybullet,

my favorite bird watching goes like this: I go to the Bon Ton resort at about 5:30 pm. I look for a nice table/chair and order my favorite glass of wine. Then I watch the birds to come home or those in the swamp. Very special.

Alternative: very early in the morning at Gunung Raya. And of course if you want to get really sweaty? Junglewalla or Dev's

Eva

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife Trips

really sweaty? really? not in my experience.

the birding tours run by dev's use aircon vehicles. they do include a visit to bon-ton, where there are some interesting species, but the bulk of the tour, and the most spectacular sightings, are on gunung raya. no jungle trekking involved at all.

the most strenuous trip offered by dev's is, in my opinion, the kayaking trip. but the guides are used to catering to the slowest, and the most inept. so anyone should be able to do it. it is a good way to see some of the mangrove creatures - no engine noise to worry about.

from cenang, there is a nice walk which might introduce you to a few of the island's species, if you go early in the morning. set out from cenang around 6.45 - 7.a.m. [jet lag wakes you early the first few days]. walk to p.tengah. walking down the street of p.tengah, take the lane on the left posted 'rumah molek'. follow this track beyond villa molek, you will pass a few houses. the track becomes a footpath skirting a padi on the edge of a wooded hill. you can make a circular route by following this path as far as the back of the electricity substation then cutting back onto p.tengah.

going at around dawn, you catch everything doing its wake-up routine.

pam

Bradford England
Level Contributor
204 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife Trips

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful advice. Looks like there will be plenty to see. I have looked at both Adventure Tour companies mentioned and they look fabulous. Can't wait!

Thanks again

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife Trips

Enjoy!

Stockport
Level Contributor
979 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife Trips

I just wanted to add another vote for Dev's. We did the mangrove boat tour with them last month. The guide was very knowledgeable and the tour included pick-up from our hotel, so it doesn't really matter where you stay if you book with them.

7. Re: Wildlife Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:19