We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

Im trying to decide which hotel is better for a family.

All Kids over 18

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

Much better for a family would neither of those.

Much better for a family with over-20 children would be Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo. Tamarindo is a lively beach town with a nice beach, lots to do in the area and you can walk into town from Capitan Suizo. There are over 60 restaurants to choose from and lots of activities, including water activities and jaunts to rainforests, a boat trip through a National Park, visit to a volcano, etc.

Plus Capitan Suizo (or one of the other really nice places in Tamarindo such as the Diria) doesn't have the ugly environmental record of the RIU which is known by most people as the "most hated hotel in Costa Rica."

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

Hattie is going to always try steer you away from any of the RIU's, no matter what your question is. She will tell you it's the 'most hated hotel in Costa Rica' and about environmental issues. The environmental issues may be a concern, however we never found one person in the area that had a bad thing to say about the hotel and many locals visit on the weekend. We even pretended to stay at other hotels to get a more realistic answer from locals in the area and everybody still spoke highly of the hotel telling you its a nice place. There were many animals around the hotel and are all over the place close byl including monkey, lizards, and the snorkeling off the beach around the lava flows was pretty good too. We were at both resorts and there were kids having a good time at both. Kids are welcome with a kids club at both. The main difference is the Palace is a little newer and more expensive. The Palace offers room service and drink service on the beach which the guanacaste does not. If the room service is not a need and you don't mind a little walk from the beach to get a drink, I would save the money and stay at the Guanacaste.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

Baffles me why people seem surprised/use it as a counter argument that when meeting a load of people that booked to go to a resort they didn't find many/any that have issues with it.

It's called sample bias.

All the people that do have issues with the RIU and its conduct etc etc will be staying elsewhere.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

I think if I were a family with 18/20-something children, they would be very unhappy staying at a remote resort such as the RIU. This is the main reason I recommended Tamarindo -- for the variety of experience and the ease of getting to it.

But you can check to see what is offered there and make your decision. Keep in mind that the RIU is about 1/2 an hour away by taxi from any town of any size - Playa del Coco. I suppose if the 20 somethings like going on a cruise, they will like the RIU.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 16:15
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

For me the RIU Guanacaste is more familiar, per whether to choose... I prefer Palace in quality and luxury is RIU Palace,(food, service), in any case if you stay in RIU Palace you can also use all the facilities of the RIU Guanacaste.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

One might say about the RIU whatever one wishes - some like it, most with vested interest in Costa Rica despise it.

Aside from the many issues with this hotel, Hattie is very much correct: For a family with "kids" over 18, this hotel is going to be, well, lame. It is isolated and there is really not much to do if you are young.

For that age group, Tamarindo simply is a much better option. Mind you, I am not a fan of Tamarindo, either - but I am not 20 or so. At that age, I would have LOVED it.

Additionally, Suizo is a great hotel choice in Tamarindo.

7. Re: Riu Guanacasta vs Riu Palace Guanacasta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 20:20