We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

Hi, can anyone advise if it's possible to walk along a coastal path from Sandgate to Folkestone and if so, is it easy to find/signposted?

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

Hi Suzyrpilgrim, yes I believe you can walk along the promenade from Sandgate through to the Lower Leas Coastal Park in Folkestone. The path is marked on Google Maps. Although I have walked along both Sandgate promenade and the Lower Leas separately, I have yet to walk between the two - would really like to.

You can also walk along Lower Sandgate Road through the park which, although it has some vehicular access, is almost like a path rather than a road, you can 'walk' this on Street View.

Mentioned in this post
Lower Leas Coastal Park
Lower Leas Coastal Park
842 Reviews
Folkestone, UK
Folkestone
Folkestone
Kent, UK
London
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

Thanks for the info. Will definitely give it a try next time I'm there.

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

The coast path runs from Folkestone all the way through to Hythe and is very straight forward. It just runs along the edge of the beach, so you can't really go wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Hythe
Hythe
Kent, UK
London
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

Thanks Gary. Definitely going to try it when we visit soon.

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

Yes it is a fantastic walk along the shore.No hills,in fact you can walk all the way along the coast to the Harbour Arm in Folkestone.A new path from the end of the Lower Leas near the Cliff Lifts across the beech on a winding path and you will find no problem with the pebble beach.It is easy to find the Lower Leas path from Sandgate.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone

Yes you can but you may have to walk on shingle beach for part of way. I did it over Christmas and there are few houses in West end of Sandgate that have private area right down to beach from there on it is concrete path all the way. If you want to walk to Leas, I would advise walking up through the park which at the half way mark. Other wise you can continue on until you get to the Harbour area. There are some interesting work of art along side the path, as you get into Folkestone.

Reply to: Coastal walk from Sandgate to Folkestone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandgate