We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

Bracknell, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

We are planning on getting the Ferry from Pembroke to Rosslare Ireland in the beginning of June. We wish to make the most of the day and therefore wish to leave at 02:45. Our only issue is getting to Pembroke from Burry Port, the earliest train we can get is 20:35 - 22:18. This would mean quite a long wait at the ferry station. We do not wish to drive as would like to have a few drinks. I have looked into buses but can't find anything suitable.

Does anyone have any suggestions to any better alternatives for these issues or even an alternavitve to get to ireland?

Cheers.

6 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

There's a train around midnight for Fishguard that connects with the 0245 ferry from there to Rosslare

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,699 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

Dzug1 is correct - if you want to use public transport to ge tto Rosslare, going via Fishguard is the better option. The trian conencts with the ferry, and the ferry terminal is on the platform at the station.

We have looked into both options for trips from Llanelli to Ireland previously, and the Fishguard wins every time. As you have identified, going via Pembroke Dock is inconvenient, not only becaus eof the wait but also because of the distance between station and ferry.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
523 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

The Megabus takes you to the ferry terminal at Pembroke Dock to meet the ferry at 00.50. It's also very cheap. You would have to catch it at Carmarthen or Swansea.

It calls at Carmarthen at 23.55 and I'm sure the trains run later from Burry Port to Carmarthen than they do from Burry Port to Pembroke Dock

Bracknell, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll probably get the train but will also checkout the bus.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,699 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

>>>The Megabus takes you to the ferry terminal at Pembroke Dock to meet the ferry at 00.50. It's also very cheap. You would have to catch it at Carmarthen or Swansea.

It calls at Carmarthen at 23.55 and I'm sure the trains run later from Burry Port to Carmarthen than they do from Burry Port to Pembroke Dock<<<

The Megavus tip is a good one, I didn't think of Megabus when I was looking at getting to ireland! There will be a train from BP at around 2245-2250 which will allow a comfortable connection.

My own preference would still be the train via Fishguard though.

Ireland
Level Contributor
580 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal

The night boat train which departs Swansea at 23.45 serves Pembrey & Burry Port at a few minutes after midnight every night (aim to be on the station platform by midnight).

For precise times:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

An all-in ticket from Pembrey & Burry Port to Rosslare Harbour can be purchased for £31 advance single/ £62 return. This works out cheaper than buying train and ferry tickets separately.

Can be bought at staffed stations or online at:

http://arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/

Info on the Fishguard-Rosslare ship, named the Stena Europe:

stenaline.ie/ferry/our-ships/stena-europe/

If travelling into Wexford a train departs Rosslare Europort at 07.20 reaching Wexford at 07.42 . The return train Mon-Fri departs Wexford at 19.05 reaching the port at 19.25, in nice time for check-in. The day return fare is €8.60.

The return sailing departs Rosslare at 21.00. The connecting train from this sailing at Fishguard does not stop at Pembrey & Burry Port but does serve Llanelli.

Hope you have an enjoyable visit.

Reply to: Burry Port to Pembroke Ferry Terminal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pembrey